Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bino, Sep 18, 2005.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I just finished wiring up a parts P-bass following the Fender diagram.
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdfs/APBASS/SD0193200APg2.pdf

The tone pot was apparently used as a volume pot before and had one of the contacts grounded to the pot. I didn't catch that at first, until I noticed both pots functioned as volume.

I un-soldered the contact and everything works as it should. But I get a buzz with the tone pot wide open. Not terrible, but noticeable and it's dead quiet with the tone pot off. Could I still have something askew? Or do Precisions buzz a bit when dimed?

If you look at the diagram the only difference is that my cap is soldered to the same spot as the ground wires, but I can't see why that would matter.

2. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Well I just put new pickups in my fender, my pbass is wired identicle to the diagram. Mine has a very very low buzz at max tone, so low I'm not worried. Once I'm playing the noise can't be heard. What type is pickups are you using? Also why didn't you go with fresh pots on this build?

Bottom line: I don't think it's something to worry about unless it's super buzzzy..........

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Check your grounding and shielding again, also make sure that the power you're using isn't on the same line with things like dimmer switches, halogen, neon, or florescent lamps/lights, all of these things can increase the noise in your signal chain. Sometimes small motors (fan, AC, refrigerator) can do the same thing. I have a feeling you're getting standard pickup noise though...