P-Bass humbucker modification

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by handofdoom95, Nov 7, 2018.

1. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    I’m currently playing a Fender Roger Waters signature that is set-up in C Standard, I play a lot of stoner/doom and am looking for a insane heavy and deep, dark sound! I was thinking of putting a humbucker at the neck to achieve this. has anyone done this? I’m not really familiar with pickups so any tips on pickups that can achieve this would be appreciated!

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    First thing's first: That split pickup in your P-bass already is a humbucker. Are you looking at something more like a dual side-by-side coil pickup?

Are you thinking that you want to put another pickup between the split pickup and the neck, or are you saying that you want to replace the split coil pickup with something different?

Edit: Also, what amp, cab, and pedals (and any other equipment) are you using?

3. Why not go for a hotter pickup? The Duncan SPB-2 goes very deep.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    Sorry I wasn’t clear, I want to add another humbucker to the neck position. I just recently dived into pickups so my knowledge is still very basic to none lol. I want to add more thunder to my low end to make it really deep, dark and huge. I play an Ampeg Micro SVT stack and use a Megalith fuzz, a Rat, a bass wah and a boss dd3

5. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    I was looking to switch my p pickups too, I have a set of EMG Geezer Butler PHZs in my other P bass which I really like. Thanks for the tip I’ll look into those!

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Dimarzio DP145 Will Power.

Axstar, handofdoom95 and Teacher like this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Have you try .1uf cap yet ?

handofdoom95 likes this.
  8. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Try the DiMarzio Model P in lieu of what's there now. It'll be heavier, and a little too loud even.

I have a bass with a mudbucker smack up against the neck, it's honestly too much. Now, that's *not* what you're asking for in your words, but it's just too much.

9. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Look up Billy Sheehan's bass "the Wife." Same philosophy.

handofdoom95 likes this.
  10. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    Too much is kinda what I’m going for, I might switch out my p pickups first and see what that brings me

11. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    An alternate way of getting lots of deep tone is to install an onboard preamp, and cranking up the bass knob. John East (BTB-01) and Aguilar (OBP1) both have thick, deep bass boosts.

12. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    Thats an option too, dont want to spend more than 200 euros to customize it so an active system might be to expensive.. something to take into consideration, thanks!

ctmullins likes this.
  13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Have you tried simply plucking right at the end of the neck? That’s where the thickest sound lives. Plus if you ever need a percussive sound you can (finger style) play ON the neck and smack the strings down on the frets with your fingers.

14. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    Yeah I normally play at the neck for heavier parts so I thought why not put a humbucker there lol

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Cool.

Have you tried flats or half rounds? Gets rid of a lot of high overtones and focuses on the fundemental pitch.

16. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Do you have an octave-down pedal? It seems to me that would be the simplest (and probably least expensive) way to get the "insane heavy and deep, dark sound" you're hearing in your head.

handofdoom95 likes this.
  17. I really think (know) your idea will not deliver the results you are looking for. The only thing a bridge pickup will bring is a slightly more defined attack and some brightness to the sound. And that will be after shelling out $300 between the pickup and the installation.
    First of all, make sure you have top notch amp to handle those low frequencies. That is the MOST important and it is where you need to start. After that, there is an after-market split-coil that works fantastic to handle low frequencies and that would be just a swap with your current pickup, it is the Delano Big Pole Split-Coil. But honestly I heard some stock standard PBasses that sounded fantastic once tuned in C. Just make sure you use something like a .115 or .120 E string set or you'll get a muddy sound.

handofdoom95 likes this.
  18. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    Thanks for the replies guys, gonna start out by getting a new set of pickups and a new bridge and see how for that gets me.. after that I can always look if I want to install one

19. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Sounds great, but I seriously doubt that a new bridge is going to change your tone (despite what the marketers will tell you...).

96tbird and gfen like this.
  20. handofdoom95

handofdoom95

Nov 7, 2018
    I know it doesn’t change my tone, but my stock bridge cuts sustain and it detunes pretty fast. I was already planning on swapping out the stock bridge before the extra humbucker idea lol

ctmullins likes this.