1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-bass: new AS or AVRI'57?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Aug 9, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm on the market for a p-bass, a real one.
    I've narrowed it down to either an american standard (which I would buy new for 1080$) or a used but mint condition american vintage reissue '57 for 950$.
    I've tried both and my impressions were these; the AS had a more comfortable neck (finish, thickness,...) and a great sound, and the AVRI sounded very vintage-y (which I love!) but the bass definitely needed a setup (high action, impossible to slap...) so it's hard to judge. The main reasons why I like that one is because of the vintage sound and the great deal I get (and also it looks damn hot).
    So I know it's all subjective, and that anyways whichever I choose I can't go wrong, but I need your advice on which one of these will perhaps be more versatile, a better idea on the long run (better built quality perhaps?). I love that the AS has a stronger graphite neck and the string-thru body bridge.
    Should I take the AVRI because of the amazing deal?
    Which one sits more comfortably in a mix (I play fingerstyle pop/funk).
    Anything I should know about these that makes one of them a better bass than the other overrall?
    thanks!

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Both great basses. I've owned both. I'm with you in that I find the neck on the AS more comfortable with the 1.625" nut width vs. the 1.75" on the '57. I also like the rolled edges on the AS. But that shouldn't be a deal-killer. They're not THAT different, and you'd get used to the neck real quickly. I have P's with both widths, and transition back and forth with no problems whatsoever.

Price-wise, they're not that far apart; so I'd just go with whichever one you like better. Can't lose either way, IMO...

3. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    true...
    is one better built/constructed/better materials?

(this sentence doesn't make any sense, i know...)

4. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd hands down go for AVRI. I far prefer the vintage specs of the AVRIs, the 1.75" nut width, 7.25" radius, the very shallow C-profile, and the nitro'd neck. I've tried some AS, and they're great instruments as well, but I'm not a fan of the modern C shape, the medium-jumbo frets, or the 9.5" fretboard radius. Those are really the only differences, so it's a matter of preference, but the AVRIs are fantastic in quality, close to CS (although I actually prefer my AVRIs to many CSs I've played).

5. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    so is 950$ a good deal or what?

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, it's a good deal. I've got an AS, a 57' AVRI, and a 62' AVRI. I love all three of them, but the AVRI's usually get the gigs. The 57' is in my gig bag for tonight, speaking of which I need to head out.

You honestly can't go wrong with either one, so get the one which speaks to you more.

7. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Urgent question:
    Ive tried 2 avri's so far and both had poor setup; high action and slack/sloppy strings...
    Is this due to poor setup or are they always like that? I like low action and tight/stiff strings. All AS's ive tried were like that and im wondering if its always the case...

8. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, you probably just ran into two that were setup by a schmuck. My first AVRI, a 62 Precision, I bought off the wall from a Seattle GC 5 or so years back. Walked out the door with it and haven't adjusted the way it plays since. The action on mine is medium, which I like for my aggressive playing style, but it's just what I've grown used to as it was that way when I bought it. My newest AVRI, a 62 Jazz, I bought online from Sweetwater (who are great, btw), and they do their own setup before they ship any instrument, and upon arrival it plays great, nothing I'd change about it. Lower action than my Precision, but I'm totally fine with that (I guess action doesn't bug me unless it's really high). Anyways, point being, their are no inherent setup flaws with the basses, it's just how they've been treated and by who.

9. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Good to know! Im getting it for 900 :D

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Go for the AV '57. I have one and it's incredible.

Mesa-BoogieWalkaboutScout1x15.

11. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Is there really a strap button on the back of the headstock?

12. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY

Yes, Fender used to put them there back then. $900 is a great deal. If you decide it's not for you, you'll easily be able to get your money back.

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Which color is it you're getting? I had a white one, which was beautiful.

14. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I like Precisions (I have an MIJ '70's) but if I were to buy a P bass purely on looks, it would be one of these. That color combination of the neck, body and pickguard is stunning! Probably my favorite looking P bass.

(Damn.....why do I look at these pictures?!)

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Love my AVR 57!

IMG_4423.

16. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    AVRI '57 + Mesa WA = THE P tone :D

17. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    If you play pop/funk, you may prefer the AMSTD. Med jumbo frets and a more modern neck profile may add a little more zing when needed for the pop/ funk.
    Also you can easily adjust the neck on the AMSTD if needed right on the gig. I find this very handy if I end up playing some wedding and the a/c has the room freezing. I do love both versions but I think you can get just a little more practical flexibility out of the AMSTD. Plus, I prefer the 1.625 nut.

18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Based on your style of music I'd say go for the AmStd. However, that is a great deal on the AVRI.

It all comes down to which neck profile you prefer. Personally, I prefer the Modern C.

19. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm getting the AVRI because of the great deal, and if ever I end up not liking it even after a major setup, I keep being told I can sell it for way more than what I paid...
    thanks all for the advice!

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My 57' AVRI has pretty low action, I'm sure a good tech can get it to your liking pretty easily. It's simply a great playing bass, my favorite P that I've ever played.