1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p bass replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by saiman, Nov 12, 2006.

1. saiman

saiman

Nov 12, 2006
    hi i'm quite new to this replacement things. i have a mexican made fender P and i'm thinking of replacing those stock pickups. what do you guys recommend for the replacement, i would love a nice tone for the slap though. cause that's my main style.

i was considering dimarzio splitP or basslines SPB3. what else do you guys recommend. i need some help thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have good success using the SPB3 in Mexican P basses. i've done several for students. Noticeable improvement in sound. I don't like the DiMarzio as much.

The P is not noted as the best slap bass though it does do it. Just different froma J sound. Your choice of strings will make a huge difference.

But the SPB3 is a very good start.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Normally, P-basses are associated with mids, but many players want a mid-scooped sound for slap style. I personally think stock P-basses are fine for slap, but assuming you want a more modern sound, you're on the right track. Both Duncan's Quarter Pounder and DiMarzio's Split-P are more full range (less mids-heavy) and modern sounding than a conventional P-bass pickup, and thus in theory closer to a mid-scoop tone many like for slap. I've never tried the DiMarzio, but I really dig the Quarter Pounder for a hard-hitting P-bass tone.

4. I use the Dimarzio Will Power P, very nice, especially when wired up with the 4 conductor wiring to the switch.
    I slap a lot & it works for me.

5. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1....I think the SPB3 does a great scooped sound which would be preferable for slapping.

George

6. saiman

saiman

Nov 12, 2006
    thanks for all the help. so most of you guys say that duncan can be associated for more to slap with a P-tone. i know it can't be compared to a J tho /: but yea strings i use .50-.105 gauges. that should be alright eh ? i use ernie ball slinks.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Check out the thread on Thomastic Roundwounds in the string section.

8. For what it's worth, here's a "negative recommendation" for you ... don't go for a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II replacement! :meh:

Why? Well, it's just way too full of low, "dark brown" mids and full-on smooth bass for slapping (IMHO). It is, however, an utterly stunning choice for coaxing more "soul" out of a heavy ash-bodied 70's P. I know ... I've done it :smug:

Look elsewhere in the SD range and you won't go far wrong, I reckon. Best of luck!

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Another vote for the SD 1/4 pounder. Solid choice. I have heard several in P-Basses and have been impressed.

10. saiman

saiman

Nov 12, 2006
    thanks people. DR colors are really nice. but do they get that extra slap and pop effect ?

11. + 1 on the Duncans