1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass set up.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quiknilter, Jan 19, 2012.

1. quiknilter

quiknilter

Nov 12, 2011
    I've got a pretty cheap Squier pbass. It plays really well, but needs a set up sooooo bad. I've never done a bass set up before. Any tips, tricks, and tools I might need? Thanks in advance.

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
  3. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
  4. quiknilter

quiknilter

Nov 12, 2011
  5. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    It's not that difficult to do it, just takes practice to get good at it. Go easy on any truss rod adjustments, take it nice and slow with that and give the neck plenty of time to settle in after adjusting. The "hardware, setup, and repair" forum on here is a great resource as well.

6. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    ha ha gigslut! how u do that?

oh wait maybe i should google it!

7. HowardMusic

HowardMusic

Oct 10, 2008
    the link to fender support is helpful - thanks for that !

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I've used the Fender setup guide for all my basses, whether they're Fender or not. It's always worked great.

9. quiknilter

quiknilter

Nov 12, 2011
    Truss rod adjustments are what scare me the most. Thanks for the advice. The fender support page is very helpful.

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I know of some good sources, in addition to the good stuff in the BG tech forum right here on TB.

If you've got a few bucks, buy Dan Erlewine's book. Search Amazon by his name.

Check out Garry Willis's 101 Tips book. There's a great little section on setup in it. Amazon, again; should be cheap on the Marketplace.

For free (!) pull up Jerzy Drozd's webpage and download the pdf of his setup guide.

My advice: don't screw around with your truss rod until you've got a good sense what it does. It's way easy to damage the neck of your bass by having too heavy a hand on the wrench or screwdriver. OTOH, if you've read up on setups and use caution, it's a great convenience and money-saver to do your own setups.