P bass vs Jazz vs Ray4 comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vanheusen77, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Ray4

30 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. P

113 vote(s)
    61.4%
  3. Jazz

41 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Compared side to side “in the mix”. I also made a poll because because I think polls are fun!

2. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker

Jun 9, 2014
    Nice playing! I always like a good comparison video. Same strings on each bass?

3. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Thank you, and yes all three have Ernie Ball Slinkys.

Skullheadrac and LukeSlywalker like this.
  4. stumblebee

stumblebee

Jan 13, 2014
    Ohio
    I think all three sound really good!!! Now that’s a great comparison video!

5. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Great video, congratulations!

I'm now pending more for the P basses, after many years favoring J basses.

Both the P and the J sound great, the MM not so much. Less presence and it almost seems choked.

I voted J, because although I love the sound of the P, I think for this example the J works better.

DukeCC and Vanheusen77 like this.
  6. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    It's really interesting to get other peoples opinions on sounds I think! One persons "warm" sound is another persons "muddy" etc.

Sparuto, sonojono and J_Bass like this.
  7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Great sounds from all three, and great playing/groove.
    It's hard to pick a favorite when all three choices are some of the most iconic bass sounds in history lol. They all bring something a little different to the table.

If I absolutely had to pick one of the three, based solely on sound/tone, I'd probably go with the Precision. It's the undeniable P-tone, full and present, has a little bit of that growl I like, and still manages to "sing".
    Again, I'm a big fan of all three, but if I could only pick one, I'd probably snag the Precision.

Great comparison vid, BTW :thumbsup:

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I own all of these basses and record and perform regularly with all of these basses.
    FWIW- I don't think this recording is a great representation of how any of these basses typically sound. Not sure what you are doing in your recording chain but they all sound anemic. Interface directly into a DAW? Maybe not the greatest preamps in your interface or something else. The P bass is closest to what I typically expect to hear, but not a great example of the sound of a Precision Bass. IMO, of course. You are a fine player. No disrespect intended.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Michael Jewels likes this.
  9. I think they all sound great and I wanted to give the choice to the SR4 since I just got my 1st one, but the P has some magic behind it. Sigh...

10. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

Of the 3, I prefer the P and the J. Surprisingly for me, I like the P bass best in this example. I normally prefer J's.

11. Unnecessary poll. I'll just keep what I have.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  12. I chose the Jazz because as someone said, it suits the sound of the song that you're playing along to better, but I'll always love the sound of a P.

Kubicki Fan and Matty Koff like this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Played nicely!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  14. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Well done. All the reasons to own 3 in any stable!

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    No carrots, No poll

lizardking837 and Vanheusen77 like this.
  16. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    I went with the P, but the Ray is a VERY close second.

17. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Why can't I get a Stingray to sound like that???

18. SiSoldier

SiSoldier Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles
    The p bass sounded pretty darn good and received my vote, thanks for sharing.

19. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    The Jazz just pipped it for me over the Precision but the P sounded great. Love these comparisons but a blind test might be even more fun!

Vanheusen77 likes this.
  20. I put P in the poll, but TBH, different flavours of good - the J seemed to cut through the most in that kinda mid/upper mid, the P was a fair bit smoother while still cutting through, and the Ray was pretty mellow in the mix.

YMMV - I AM also breaking in a new gaming headset, and it very distinctly has a bump about 100-400 hz or so, and somewhere around 1000-2500 hz. I don't have precise measurements but that's what I think I've been hearing - and that could certainly be affecting things.