1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J Electronics Configuration?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TMart99, May 17, 2011.

1. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Forgive me, but my memory fails me on this.

I while back I was reading a thread where you guys were discussing P/J configurations. There was one member (can't recall his username) who said he had a long standing opinion on P/J configurations and he said something along the lines of...... that he felt the only possible good configuration was ....something like.....one volume, one tone and a three way toggle switch.

Now I may be incorrect about the actual configuration he was recommending.

I have tried the search function and I can't seem to find that thread. Nor can I remember the member.

Does anyone recall that thread and the member?

I have an opportunity with a PJ Bass and for very little money in, I can experiment. So I'd like to try his suggestions. But I don't recall all of his details.

So if you are that member, could you direct me to that thread, please? Or share that info/details, again?

Or if you're not that guy, but remember that thread, please direct me.

I've never been a fan of PJ basses and have never been satisfied with the way they sound. But this will be a very inexpensive experiment, so I want try it out.

Thanks.

2. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Can't help on your search...but, I've tried that combination. Not to my liking. I can't seem to get away from 2 volume and 1 tone OR 1 volume, 1 blend, 1 tone. I may (some day) try 2 volumes and 2 tones :meh:

3. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    A'ight then :D

Still searching.....

Anyone?

4. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I have a PJ with vol, pan, bass, treble configuration on one of my basses. I recently removed the pan pot and put a three way toggle switch. It works as it should. The electronics are active, but I am sure it will work fine with passive with volume and tone.

5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  6. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
  7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    No worries, pm me and let me know how it turns out.

8. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Will do. Thanks again. Should be an interesting experiment.

9. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    That sounds just like the Tony Franklin Signature bass. I think the schematics should be on Fender's site.

10. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    Both of my basses, a Fender P-Bass Special and Ibanez Roadstar RB650, are both P/J passive, with the aforementioned J-Bass wiring. I find that MOST times, I just have both pickups up full, and that blending them to vary degrees does absolutely nothing for me in terms of tone. I occasionally use the P or J pickups alone, and therefore, a switch would actually be a better choice for me.

Individual controls or panpots function better on active basses where the pickups are electronically isolated from each other and there is no loading between pickups, so you CAN effectively dial-in a little of one pickup as necessary.