1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J Fivers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Sep 12, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey guys, I'm currently looking around for a bass to keep at school. So I don't want anything too expensive (below $500, preferably), but I also want it to sound good because I'll probably take it to college.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I'd like a P/J configuration. But I can't really find any P/J five string basses that aren't custom made, aside from Yamaha. Are there any other?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    What don't you like about the Yamahas?

Schecter has the T5, although I believe they are discontinued now... You can find them used for around $250-300:

2850684354_a5bc1d3ab3_o.

3. ohhh my! I like that...

and at a price that just begs for me to pick one up...
    NEXT time I'm in America, that is ;)

4. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    yes, that is nice! i wish it came in a jazz, tho'. P necks on a 5 = :( for me (small hands).

still hoping there may be one at rondo sooooooon.......

5. my hands aren't exactly large...I have me a Squier Deluxe Active V (wide city)...took me about 1 month to totally get used to it...now I LOVE IT!

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    yah, i have a frankenP/J made with a squier P body and neck. love the sound, but ack! that board! my hands just about fit on it.
    i use it for shedding at home...my sx jazz board feels like a pencil after that! :p

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Fender used to make the Deluxe Zone as a fiver, and you might find some still on the rack. It's active and MIM. I bet they're very reasonable on the used market.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    You should be able to find a used Godin SD-5 (discontinued) or Freeway 5 (current) for under $500. I had an SD-4 (4 string model) that I bought used for $189. Strung through the body with TI Jazz Flats it was one of the best-sounding passive basses I've ever heard in 23+ years of playing, regardless of price.

I think the passive Yamaha BB414/415 are hard to beat for an inexpensive new P/J. I don't really like the sound of the active versions.

9. Germanbassist87

Germanbassist87

May 1, 2008
    theres also a the ESP LTD B-55.. Haven't really sat down and played one, but i may be looking at one for my back up bass to my b-255

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to look into some of them.

There's not really anything that I don't like about the Yamahas. I've actually never seen one. I just wanted to see what other kind of options there are that meet my criteria because, honestly, that was the only one I could think of.

11. Yamaha's are pretty good basses. Look around to find a store that has one that you can play.

12. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    As the owner of a 4-string P/J Yamaha, I can definitely tell you it's worth your time to look into. I have the active version (BB614) and it's an excellent bass.

13. I've played the Yammy BB415 (passive brother of the BB615), it's a great bass...I reckon the 615 would be a tad more versatile, but haven't tried one.

There's no shame in Yamaha...not at all!

I've had an RBX170, still have a PAC112J guitar and just bought a Yamaha Clavinova Dig Piano today :)

GREAT Gear for the price, for sure!

14. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    ESP LTD makes some pretty good, cheap fives. the B-55 has PJ pickups. i have it, its a great bass.

15. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Do the P/Js truly capture the best of both worlds? Can you get a nice growly jazz tone out of these?

16. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    My Yamaha growls plenty with both pickups; the active controls help this a lot. I personally find the P-style pickup to provide a deeper-throated growl, which I prefer. But the J-style pickup has growl to burn IME.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender American Precision Deluxe V. Best P-Bass Fender ever built. Problem: probably about $800 used.

[​IMG]

18. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I'll give a plus 1 to everyone that reccomended the ESP/LTD B-55. great basses

19. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I used to have one of those. The rear humbucker does not sound much at all like a J bridge pup, in my opinion. It sounds more like a MusicMan, especially when paired with an ash body (like my old one and like the one you posted).

Unless the economy is doing a LOT worse than I thought, those are not going for $800 used - more like $1k+.

I do agree, though, that this was one of the best Fender Ps made. I'm upset that they were discontinued. Someday, I will get another one!

2372544621_4b4e450b58_b.

20. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    More than $800 my friend. I've been hunting one or a while. Lost out on two maple fretboard ones in ebay auctions because I couldn't go over $1000 plus shipping. Both sold for over $1200:crying: