Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P & J Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Coleman, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    i am sorry about have a stupid question, what the different of P bass and J bass neck

2. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    and what is the fast action nect?

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Here's my feeble attempt at explanation... From a Fender point of view, traditionally, both have 20 frets and are 2.5" wide at the heel, (where the neck joins the body)... The width at the nut is typically 1.75" for a Precision and 1.50" for a Jazz... Though I don't have any measurements to throw at you, Jazz necks tend to be thinner from the back of the neck to the fingerboard, resulting in a 'faster' feel which might address your 'Fast Action' question... This isn't always the case though... I've seen thick J's and thin P's. Individual necks, like individual opinions, vary.... Gimme a thick ol' P!

But 'Fast Action' could also mean a low string setup, (where the strings lie very close to the fretboard)... You need the trussrod adjusted to bring the neck fairly straight to accomplish this...

Hope this helps,

-robert

4. As above, the necks are cut to some sort of tolerance to fit the same neck pocket. Remember, these are not surgical tools, and expect slight variance. Originally, P's were 1 3/4" at the nut, J's 1 1/2". However, for years Fender let you special order nut widths of 1 1/2" (A), 1 5/8" (B), 1 3/4" (C), and even 1 7/8" (D). It is not unusual to find a Precision with a 1 1/2" nut and a Precision decal. In the old days, the J necks were a little deeper and rounder, probably to compensate for their narrowness and provide strenght. Older necks show much more variance in depth and shape due to sloppier machining and more hand finishing, which is not as consistent as the computer controlled maching being used today. Over the years Fender has used several different profiles, including the "U", "soft V", "hard V", "oval", ""flattened oval", and "round" styles. Play a bunch of them, and find what suits you best. I've never been fussy about small differences, but some players are. I think it's easier to get through life if you can adapt to different neck shapes!

5. +1

[​IMG]
    Treena