1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P vs J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klaus486, Aug 6, 2012.

1. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    image-3124347727.

I have both!

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Hooray!

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Who cares if it fits your sound.
    I've got both a P and a J pickup in my bass.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    (Hey, I made this!)

This isn't about one being better than the other - this was about wrestling with an identity crisis. I've considered myself a "Jazz Bass guy" my whole life, but I recently realized that I have become a "P-bass guy." That's all. :)

(the original comic is from Achewood, where Ray realizes his preferences regarding...uh...female composition have changed, and I had the same kind of experience when it dawned on me. From here: 1 2 3 )

5. The J has its uses, lightweight MPTF gigs and stuff. Just been too lazy to put one together out of parts on hand. Totally forgot I had a PJ. Time to dust it off, I guess.

6. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Aug 1, 2012
    Belgium
    I personally like them both, but I noticed that all my heroes used P-basses to get their tone.

7. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Something is wrong with that comic... the bear sees a P-bass and goes "Slap! Slap! Slap!" to himself... :rollno:

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But, happy user of a Reggie Hamilton (active passive P/J Jazz bass) I discovered (after having bought a BlackTop Jazz) that maybe my perfect bass could be a Jazz body with dual split pickups and a Precision (possibly maple, but... whatever...) neck (and a detuner)...

Now, sticking to the OP: Jazz BTW

Cheers,
    Wallace