1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malleable, Mar 26, 2014.

1. malleable

malleable

Nov 13, 2011
    so i'm looking to buy my first fender. i was at samash last week and was playing the J deluxe. they didn't have a 5-string P at the store so i picked up a four string P standard and that thing was so warm and punchy. will a Precision American Standard five string sound the same?

2. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that yes, a Precision American Standard 5-string will sound similarly warm and punchy.

All the best,

Shane

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Get a P bass Deluxe. It's got the additional jazz bass bridge pickup. Best of both worlds.

4. I bought a new Amc. Std 5 P about 3 weeks back. Despite setting it up the B still lacks volume & punch but the EADG sounds great. I can return it within a month but I'm still going to keep it despite the B issue because the rest of the guitar makes up for this.

5. hmmm a 5 string with a not so hot low B seems like kind of a waste. Esp. on a bass costing that much...

6. Yeah I'm actually still mulling it over, but it's my 1st P, sounds/looks great, plays nice, and with all of that the B's passable, so I'll probably keep it. The other issue is how much more would I have to spend to get a fantastic P tone with an equally fantastic B. When I was researching this before I pulled the trigger the one I remember being mentioned was a Nordy which is quite a bit more than the Fender.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Try a string change. (at least change the B string first if you want to try a fix as inexpensive as possible first) I bought a MIM Fender Jazz V last year, was a little upset the B string wasn't up to snuff compared to the rest of the strings. I put D'addario strings on it and the B string "issue" disappeared.

8. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Does the B work better strung thru body rather than top load? I think with a 34" this may help. I don't think it matters on the others.

9. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    You should not put up with a weak B string! There are many Fender 5 string Precisions that have great sounding B strings. If it doesn't sound good to you, take it back and try another. Don't settle. In the mean time, check the pick up height and maybe try a little more robust B string. A .130 or bigger might help. Also, I've found stringing through the body seems to help, at least to my ears. YMMV

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It makes no difference IME, generally.

11. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Sep 7, 2013
    If you get a Carvin PB5, you'll probably pay less! ;)

12. O-evetS

O-evetS I like pie!

Jul 6, 2003
    Rochester NY
    I know it's been said but play with the p/u height. I own 2 5 string Fender P's and I had to lower the bass side on one because the B was so hot.

13. I was under-impressed with the B on y Fender P5, despite using the exact same strings that I have been happy with on my other 5's. I sold it off without regret.

With through body, I notice no difference other than it is more of a pain to chage strings. A well made, top-loaded 34" can have every bit as solid a B as a 35 through body, IME.

True dat. But only if you're into very high quality , custom basses for less money. :bag:

:D