1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PA Cabinets w. Fretless basses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mtyndorf, Oct 2, 2008.

1. mtyndorf

mtyndorf

Oct 1, 2008
    Hey Guys, looking for a nice amp/cab setup and I'm trying to use pieces of gear I already have. I'm a beginner but picked up a 4 string Music Man SUB Sterling fretless as my "first" bass. I've been playing an older ('77 or '78 I believe) Ibanez Musician a friend of mine lent me, but fell in love with the growl & feel of a fretless after I picked up a lined fretless Jazz bass at a music store completely by accident.

My question is, I'm planning to go the preamp/poweramp/cab route, I have an old Beta 800 power amp (270/ch at 8ohm, 400 at 4ohm, bridgeable) and I'm looking at picking up an Aguilar Tone Hammer as a preamp/DI. Now I've heard that some fretless players actually use 15"/horn PA speakers as their cabs instead of purpose-built bass cabs. Anyone have any opinions or experience with using one or the other in your rig?

Thanks!

2. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...