Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA speakers vs basscombos

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by karlgustav, Sep 10, 2005.

1. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    hello fellow DBplayers.

I tried Yamaha msr 100 (8" woofer,1" titanium driver,100w,12 kg) active pa speaker today and was really happy with the sound (compared to ampeg ba112,for example).

I know that there is lot of you useing similar rig,so please sppek up.Whats good,and whats bad.
    What speakers are you useing.with what kind of preamps.and so one,and so one... .

with regards
    Karl-Gustav

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My general experience with PA cabs and piezo pickups is that the speakers deliver too much in the hi and hi-mid frequencies, which is something that I'm always trying to diminish. When I'm using a mic, PA cabs are great, but I have to be behind them (i.e., house with some montior coming back or something) to avoid feedback and bleed.

Overall, my personal preference (which isn't shared by all) is a lower-fi sound on stage that translates well out front.

3. PA boxes tend to be disppointing for EB, but can be quite good for URB or EUB because they tend to have a more neutral sound, although I agree that they're often too bright.

I have a pair of RCF ART-300 powered speakers (also sold for a while as 'Mackie Industrial') that I normally use for small PA gigs, but they sound very nice for bass. The RCF's are not as edgy in the high mids and most other plastic 12" + horn boxes.

There's also an EV powered box that I've used a bit - I forget the exact model number, but it has separate mic & line inputs plus bass & treble controls, so it works well on its own without a mixer or preamp (not quite as nice a sound as the RCF's, though)

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Good PA boxes are great. Full range ones, not ones designed just for vocals. Good ones are flat across the fequencies so are not harsh. Good clean transparent sound. And if you want colored sound there's plenty of sound shaping pre-amps around.