Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA-subwoofer question....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by HAWKINS, May 25, 2004.

1. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    Our band is putting together a PA system. This question was posed by one of the members. Any answers off the top of your heads?

"Given a subwoofer capable of 600 watts program handling or roughly 300 watts continuos(rms,) and 8 omhs of input resistance, what wattage amplifier would be most appropriate to drive a pair of these subwoofers without over working the amp? That is, how many watts per channel at 4 ohms? I know that more is better, but there must be some optimal
    number."

Any help is appreciated. We have a powered mixer (yamaha), but I'd need to check on the numbers if anybody needs them. Thanks.

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you're going to use subwoofers you're better off getting rid of that powered mixer. Unless it has a subwoofer out. It's best to use a mixer, crossover and two separate amps, one for the mains and one for the subs. It's also best to use the same ohm rating as the subs. Mixing them can lead to blowing them easier.

3. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    thanks. the mixer does have a subwoofer output that is not amplified. we are still not sure if the subs are the way to go. the main speakers are 15". the drums are miked and i like to run the bass through a sansamp DI. some feel it takes away from the vocals through the main speakers.

is there a better setup? i admit i'm a little skimpy on the bass amp, using a hartke 200w 15", but with a good PA system that seems fine and gives a good stage sound. seems like we are going to want to go for an amp and subwoofers of some sort.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Given what you have already, I would go either for a powered subwoofer...something like Mackie 450, or what my band did - a dedicated power amp and a couple of subs (in our case EV Eliminators).

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just about to mention the mackie's. They work great, but my friend has blown his twice, so make sure you don't push them too much or get something with more power if you need it.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    We tested Mackie 450 and EVs, as well as a complete Mackie powered setup (and Bose 802s with subs, Carvin, Peavey, Dynacord, JBL etc) and as as long as you didn't push Mackie too hard, it sounded pretty good. In the end, we decided to get two power amps (Crown 2400 for PA and QSC 1200 for stage monitors) and EV Eliminator set - two full range cabs with 15s and 2 subs. It sounded better and could be pushed a lot harder without distortion, plus we can add more cabs if we ever need to.

The only setup that sounded better to us was Dynacord cabs with same power amps, but price was a lot higher.

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, my band swears by Crown Powerbase amps, we're running 3 of them now

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Check out either the PV or the redesigned CS series from Peavey for your amp. The PV has a set 150Hz crossover built in, and the CS has a selectable crossover. I like the CS better, but the PV may fit your budget better. Both series offer different wattage ratings, so find one that fits your needs. Hell, check out a Peavey sub while your at it.

I have used, and have played clubs that had these amps in them. They sound and work great. I personally use a CS300H in my "big" PA. Don't let the fact that they're Peavey throw you off.

9. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    thanks for the info, guys......

we have been on a steep learning curve with regards to PA gear and setup.....we don't mind spending a little money, but we want to make it count and not have to "re-invent the wheel".....

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If your speaks are 300 rms and 600 program you need to get at least 600 watts to each sub, I like to go a little more say 700-900 and just be careful not to push it too much so I don't blow anything. The best thing to do is get a little DBX cross over or something. Run you tops the same way with an amp as far as wattage, with your crossover set it at 90-150hz so all your lows are going to the subs and highs and mids to the tops. With an active crossover your eliminating all the bleed and mud, passive built on crossovers are very inefficiant. So the best way to do it would be to get am amp just for your tops and another for your subs, both sending 2x the rms rating as far as wattage to them. A crossover set at 90-150 (whatever sounds best to your ear)and you would be in good shape. Basically the drum kick and your bass will more than likely be the only things in those subs ;)