Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Page loading hang

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 12, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Paul -

I've been noticing frequent page loading hangs, where the stall is "http://www.talkbass.com/phpad2/adframe.php/yaddayadda...". This is occurring on dialup, and can take up to two minutes to clear. It's been happening for several months, but not consistently.

Any ideas? Ad server busy, and this is a required component?

2. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sucks, doesn't it?

Oh, BTW - IE 6.0, W2K.

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Hmm. Does it always hang on loading something like "http://www.talkbass.com/phpad2/adframe.php/"? If so it looks like a hangup in the ad delivery software (delivers the top banner and left column banner).

Next time it happens, take a note of the time. There are certain background tasks that are run on the ad stats database, for example, at the top of the hour during certain periods. If I can isolate it to a specific time I'll know it's the cause, and can check to see what task is being run during that time.

Thanks!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I sit on a DS3 here at work (win98 + Mozilla 1.7b) and cable at home (WinXP + Netscape 7.2)

I get "failed to load www.talkbass.com" while moving around at times. Pages are in fine but the ad missing. I'll note some times.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep, that's it. I figured it was a call to an ad server. I'll try and track a few times, and I'll send 'em to you by PM or email. I can tell you now that it's much more frequent than hourly!

Thanks, Paul!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It just happened again about five minutes ago, but it wasn't as severe as it has been - it cleared in about two minutes.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Paul, this morning is the worst it's been yet. For the last 20 minutes, things have been like molasses, with the hang in the same place.

It took me close to five minutes to navigate to this thread!

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Thanks for the input - unfortunately I've been unable to find a cause for the delays that you've been experienceing :( Will continue to keep my eyes open...

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Paul!