1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paint is turning to powder!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beyondat, May 25, 2011.

1. beyondat

beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Hello, I hope you guys can give me some advice here. I have a warmoth body that I grain filled and primed. I am using montana spraypaint and after I gave it a few coats it turned into a powdery substance and i could brush the paint of with my finger. when I tried to sand it it turned into a red color and the paint is brown(latte). At first I thought it was just a bad can until I got the same results from another can. Thanks for the help.

2. alatham82

alatham82

Mar 3, 2011
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like your primer is incompatible with your paint.

3. Hi.

The key to a succesful paint job is always to use compatible, proven products.

I'm from the other side of the globe so I have no idea about the paint You're using.

That said, powder usually indicates a disintegrated (frozen/overheated/not mixed thoroughly) paint as the stuff You see is most likely the pigment/filler and the base component either evaporates or is mostly missing.

Does it come out wet or dry?

Regards
    Sam

4. beyondat

beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    It comes out dry. I thought it was the soft cap I was using.

5. Hi.

Hmm, what do you know, we actually have Montana paints over here, I just have never heard of them.

Those are mainly graffiti paints though, so that could well be the reason ;).

I still have no idea whether these paints can be used as any other rattle can varieties I've used, but if the paint comes out dry it really doesn't matter, something's wrong.

I couldn't find neither base-coats nor powder coating cans on the Montana site with a quick search, so those can't be the reason for the odd behaviour.

Does the seller know why the paint behaves as it does?

Regards
    Sam