Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paint Probs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dosshiz, May 3, 2005.

1. Dosshiz

Dosshiz

Apr 20, 2005
    I bought a used Fender Jazz from Guitar source a few weeks ago that the last person had ****ed all to hell, there were scratches on the body and the person took the pickguard off and spraypainted it silver.

Since then i have most of the spraypaint and original black finish off so it is a real dull black color. I was going to have it painted white when i got the cash but having the strings adjusted today at Spencers (local music shop) the guy there said i could apply paint stripper and it would take ALL the finish off and it would be the natural wood color. The paint stripper can also said this.

After about 3 sprayings of the stripper it still looks like the same dull black, no paint is coming off. the can says some paint takes longer, should i let it sit overnight? does this even work? please help!

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Wait overnight. I had a similar problem with a crappy P-copy, and paint stripper worked really well. Too well, in fact. I ended up ruining part of the linoleum because it eats away at everything. And whatever you do, don't do this indoors. If you have to, seek proper ventilation. Repeat it as many times as necessary.

3. Dosshiz

Dosshiz

Apr 20, 2005
    so i spray it on there and leave it over night?

what linoleum, like on your floor?

4. Just incase you're not aware... I don't know what kind of paint stripper you're using, but you may need to nutralise it after you've finished removing all the paint. Stripper is active, so it just keeps working and may ruin the new paint job. Read the packaging or speak to someone who knows about that type of paint stripper. I used white vinegar to nutralise my wood with the stripper I used. But don't use it till you know. Maybe you don't even need it.

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yep. Just spray and let sit. But please keep it ventilated; fumes do weird things to you.

Yeah, it was the floor. Big mistake that was.

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    if your planning on repainting it, i would have left it on, since your going to have to spray a primer on top of it either way.

7. Make sure you put a thick layer of paintstripper on the body.
    The paint has to be completely sealed of from the air for the stripper to work properly.