1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Painting a headstock black

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DerekW, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Hey, I think this would be the right section.

I'm doing my MIM Jazz bass in total blackout, hardware, pick guard, etc.
    I'd like to paint the headstock a matching gloss black then add a white or silver waterslide decal to match the old, hopefully serial number and the whole nine.

I have a limited skillset, but lots of patience.

Wondering if I can get some tips on removing the existing logo, and prepping for new paint.
    And what paint to use.

Would something as simple as krylon paint work?

I'm assuming I'd need to light sand the existing finish, but not sure if it would need to be primed.

Also, I assume the new waterslide would need a finish over it, so what would be a good product for that?

2. And yeah, I have googled and found about 20 different ways and products people have used.

Looking for a fairly simple solution.

3. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I've painted several headstocks and necks with Krylon. Per my local luthier's advice, I sand the existing clear coat with very fine paper just enough to get it level, paint, sand, spray with clear, sand, and polish. I only use primer on projects that have been sanded down to the wood.

4. Thanks for the reply!

320 grit too fine?

And what did you use for clear?

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    320 is good to scuff the old finish and then move to 400 or 600 before paint.
    Just to be safe I would not use krylon paint, Duplicolor perfect match is a lot better IMO and you can use lacquer on top of it, just don't use their clear..... it takes forever to dry.

6. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Since it's a MIM Fender, the old finish is polyurethane, I'd use another polyurethane for the black and clear-coat.