1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pairing Ampeg 410HLF and 410HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonnyBassman101, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Hi guys,
    I've owned an SVT-CL, and 410HLF for just over 2 years.
    I feel i want to add an extension cabinet so i can hear my self better on stage etc (amp being higher/ closer to ear level)
    I am considering adding a 410HE, as i want more midrange, without the ported cab. So technically overall the rig would be a "810HLF"
    I just want to know if this is technically possible, and that both cabs would be getting the same power, i understand the HLF is a 4ohm cab. And the SVT can go down to 2 ohms.

Thanks.

2. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    It is not a good idea. First of all: the cabs will get uneaven power. And it may not be healthy for your amp. Most of solid state amps can go "in between", but the CL works good either on 2 of 4 ohm load. So 2,5 or 3 ohms are as unhealthy as 6ohms.

3. Sounds like you actually want an 810e.

pglaser01 likes this.
  4. To be honest i do, but the transport is the issue, I guess pairing 2 410HE's is would be best option? but the problem is, the SVT can't run one 410HE by itself due to it being an 8ohm cab. I wish there was a 4ohm 410he.

5. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I think the HLF is way more of a pain than the 810. Lower. The HE at least rolls in any direction. The 810 is one lift. Look what the drummer has to bring. It's still better than having to lug all that stuff around. And, using two HEs, the distance to the top of those is higher than the 810.

6. If you cant transport an 810e, then you will not be able to transport a 410HLF and a 410he.

Maybe you should be looking at a Ampeg 212AV or two.

7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    A couple of comments:

Your SVT can survive a single 8 Ohm load just fine, even if it is not optimal.

Sending twice the power into the 410HLF is just fine, it will take a lot more abuse than the 410HE.

There are two "generations" of 10" speakers in the modern era non-Heritage SVT Ampegs; the US made that have a darker tone ande the current Asian made ones, which are brighter.
    I run the Asian made 410HLFs and do not feel my sound is lacking mids, even if many other cabs are more "articulate". For the older, MIA cabs, the tone is definitely "woolier" than I want.

A sealed 410HE mates pretty OK with the 410HLF. I am quoting myself from another, similar thread:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And that is according to Bill Hughes, the inventor of the SVT. It can also stand a 2.67 ohm load. However, I'm not as happy with the tone as when I run it regulation...gets a little compressed to my ears.

Don't know about twice the power, but it will take considerably more because of the design of the speakers and how low they go.

The dark years are 2000-2006, and this seems to go for 810e, 410he, 610hlf and 410hlf. Not sure about the 15e, but sure about them.

I've never done it but I have seen that combo before.

9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Yeah, I still have not seen any data for the 15" drivers during that time.

"Twice the power"... Powered by an SVT, sending 200W to the 410HLF and 100W to the 410HE will not be a big task for any of those cabs.

10. "I feel i want to add an extension cabinet so i can hear my self better on stage etc (amp being higher/ closer to ear level)"

A milk crate or a tilt back stand is a lot cheaper than a new cabinet...

wallerdub likes this.