1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pandora Vs. Last.FM

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cynikal1234, Apr 18, 2009.

1. cynikal1234

cynikal1234

May 12, 2008
    SRQ, FLorida
    I just recently made an account for Pandora and i loved it. I also used Last.FM before and thought it was pretty good. I personally like Pandora more cause it goes more in depth into the similar music your looking for and it has an app for the blackberry which i noticed that Last.fm didnt. Which one do you guys think is better?

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I love both. I can't listen to Pandora anymore (in a convenient manner at the very least) because I live in Canada. Last.fm is interesting because it proposes groups that need not to be of similar genres, but instead please common listeners. That means that most Quebec metalheads flood the service with mainstream reggae groups. Listen to Iron Maiden or Metallica, and Bob Marley is sure to pop up at some point.

I liked Pandora because it allowed me to discover less known groups based on the empirical measure of my music tastes. For example, Gorillaz + Hamster Alliance + Dream Theatre led me to Telegenetic, RJD2, Casiopea and El Ten Eleven, which is a path I absolutely love and couldn't have taken on my own.

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    yeah, Pandora absolutely wins.

I've discovered so much awesome music through it. The nice thing is that it automatically plays stuff you wouldn't otherwise ever discover on your own, where as you have to go hunting around for stuff manually on last.fm and add it to your library.

All in all, Pandora is a much more functional site.

4. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    Spotify

5. Gee, I prefer Lastfm; Pandora required more input on my part to find the kind of music I liked.

6. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI
    I just use Last.FM to keep track of what I listen to. But I gave Pandora a whirl once and discovered a couple good bands because of it.

7. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Pandora definitely is easier to use and has a better algorithm for finding music it thinks you like.

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Love it while you can. The RIAA won their cases and it looks like we will still see a death of independent internet radio broadcasting before too long. Even stations like KPIG, who have been streaming for over a decade, are in very real danger of being shut down.

Kevin Martin is the (EXPLETIVE DELETED) devil!