Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parallel Universe

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Garage, May 20, 2005.

1. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Did Flea use a pick on the Red Hot song called Parallel Universe?

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Yes. I don't know what kind, though. :smug:

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "The Only time I play with a pick is when I have one in my hand." -Flea.

4. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I have nothing to add, but I like that song. I'll do exercises playing it fingerstyle, but live, pick.

5. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Its must be real tricky to play this with fingerstyle! Is this the only song he use a pick? Not that I’ts important, I’m just curious.

6. No, Flea uses a pick on other songs as well. Pretty much whenever he feels like it.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I did this song with a (now defunct) cover band and I actually thought he recorded it fingerstyle, so I also played it fingerstyle. It was quite a challenge, to say the least. I use three fingers so it worked pretty well, but I really had to practise regularly so I wouldn't run out of stamina during the song. It was an ... interesting experience. :D

8. Fortune Faded is also played with a pick. If you're interested, I read somewhere that Flea uses a Dunlop Tortex .60mm...
    ...Wow, my girlfriend's right, I am full of useless information... :bag:

http://www.musicplayer.com/lounge/setups/flea.htm here it is

9. it's not THAT hard to play without a pick. i think sometimes i'm actually faster with my fingers, but then again, i almost always play fingerstyle nowadays.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I play it fingerstyle, it's not that hard, it just requires some stamina, fun to do..

11. You could play it by flicking your index finger back and forth over the string a la Geddy Lee on 'Animate', it's quite a similar line.

Just a thought. :)

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    yeah, that's another way to go, although it won't give you the workout you get from alternating I-M

13. Dunlop Tortex .60 :smug: :D

14. i used to play this with 2 fingers back in the day, my hand felt it would pop off after a minute or 2. good for building endurance.