1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

passief crossover question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by qts, Jan 28, 2008.

1. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    something is still bothering me about the highpass filter i use for my 2-way D.I.Y cab. D12LF+La6-CBMR
    Somebody told me not to go for just a highpass alone, but to use a complete crossover.

The reason;Half the high freq power will go to the woofer, and will be wasted energy.
    Now what's the best for the system?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    What do YOU hear? IF you aren't sure because you have no comparison, then experiment - try a full crossover. Myself, I think such a rig sounds better with a full crossover - typically, one that's steep (but not always) and Linkwitz-Reilly. Plenty of discussions talk about the issue, but for a midrange driver the situation is definitely different than with a tweeter/horn since you don't have to worry about plugging (partially at any rate) a gap in the response.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's one reason, but not the only one. Another is that within the bandwidth where the both drivers operate their outputs will overlap at various phase angles, resulting in response peaks and valleys. And then there's the matter of impedance, which will be lower where the drivers are seen by the amp as parallel loads. That's why well engineered speakers almost always use a full crossover.

4. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    O.k i see, but wil it be noticeable in the sound if i use a full crossover? if so, i'll go for it

But anyway, the isue about the impedance is important to, at the moment i only play with a single cab, but i'm planning to build a second one, so the impedance load become a serious thing

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021