1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passing the Musical Torch to your kid......

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by GRISSLEHEAD, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I started playing music in 1965(Guitar) in 1971 I switched to bass and from the mid 70's to mid 80's I toured the U.S opening up for National acts(Willie Nelson,Hank Williams Jr.,Mickey Gilley,Peter Frampton,etc.etc.etc. from N.Y.C to Fla. and all points in between. I stopped touring in 1985 because I missed the first 6 yrs. of my sons life. My son was always facsinated with music and wanting to play....he's a southpaw and has a collection of lefty guitars & basses. He's now 29yrs old, plays guitar,co-writes the music in the band and is doin' what Pops did 35 yrs. ago.He's my heart & soul and I love him dearly..............His band is BLOOD MOON CULT. He is known as Wraith in his Industrial/Metal band. Check them out at WWW.BLOODMOONCULT.COM
    He's made me very proud by carrying on where I left off. Tell your stories of how your kids have picked up the Muscial Torch and are now doing what you did and are still doing musically.
    Let's here it for the children that are now rockin' & rollin' like we did way back when.

2. I'm 21, Never met my dad, But i like seeing things like this.

Hopefully i will be one day in this situation... When the little bugger gets the basses n the rig passed on... or shall i be buried with them?! hmm...

Good luck to ya both.

3. Pass it on to the little one......and keep that bond tight,they grow up quick.
    Grisslehead

4. I'm the first and only musical person in my family... :(

I have to start the legacy

5. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    My eldest is 14, he has been going to music lessons since he was 5, he played violin for 5 years before switching to DB, and plays bass guitar in a a couple of bands.

He's played every decent venue in the city, and has no comprehension of nerves before a performance.

He's by far the best bassist amongst his contempories.

I'm super proud!

6. meycom

meycom

Nov 29, 2008
    Southern Wis.
    Only one of my sons has shown much interest in playing music. But, I will say because I have had good quality equipment in the house it has made it easier for him. Guitars, basses, amps, drum set. I think I wasted a lot of years by being stuck with substandard gear. He can play very well on guitar, bass and even drums.

7. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    +1 When my boy started asking for a rig capable of doing the gigs he's been playing I started trawling through forums for good second hand kit or cheap but great first hand kit.

He saved himself enough to get a second hand Berg HT210, having got a Hartke LH500 for Xmas. Its better than anything I played with until I got my present rig, but actually didn't cost that much. He has an Ibanez BTB bass, set up just right, and I gave him my BP8 for some effects. All this has done is inspire him to want to plug it in and play every day, which is why he's got where he has so far.

8. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA

My dad's mother was a really good singer, but that's the only musically inclined family member. I just had a daughter and named her Aria (it was totally the wife's idea). I'm going to have to buy/build her a couple instruments pretty soon.

9. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    For my family, as well as others I've spoken with, music seems to skip a generation. My grandfather was very musical, and played many different instruments. Neither of my parents can sing or play anything. I have two younger brothers (both accomplished drummers) and my self of course. Of us three brothers, none of our children show the slightest interest in music. My own two children are now grown and were STRONGLY encouraged to take up music. Hopefully the grandkids will come along some day and take some of this equipment off my hands I've been collecting over the years.

10. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I am really the first musician in my family who did anything beyond band/orchestra in school. I did that as well but did not really pickup the bass until I was in my late 20's. That ended up being the same time that my son picked up playing the guitar. He was 7 at the time. He did really well and at about the age of 13 picked up the drums. All along also doing vocals. Well, he is now 20 and actually making a stab at being a musician/writer/producer full time. I am really hoping he makes it but we all know. It is a hard road. We have some good contacts and are starting to make some headway. A couple of artists are already looking at picking up a couple of his tracks. You can check some of it out at http://www.myspace.com/beatendo

11. I had an uncle give me a Harmony P-Bass for my 15th birthday. He has since been the only consistantly supportive family member for my music endeavours.

I kept that Harmony for years... the black on black could barely be made out my the layer of punk stickers i plastered all over it. It also started a love affair for me with heavier(weight-speaking) basses.

I thought i would pass it on to an 18 year old cousin 3 years ago and keep it going...

He sold it for pot money a few months later :crying:

12. I checked out his myspace page...........you should be very proud. I honestly can say his music is not my cup of tea....My own sons music isn't something i'd listen to on a regular basis(what can I say....I'm old school )...........but I can appreciate his musical abilities,writing and production. Yes.....you should be very proud. He's very good !!

13. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    I am only 24 and do not have children, my parents did not play any instruments. However, my parents have supported me so much in music, and in life, that I can never thank them enough. I remember my dad suprising me one day when he hauled in a Yorkville combo amp, or the time my mom searched the city for a compressor (I never asked for either item, they just always wanted me to continue thumping).
    I can honestly say that there is no greater feeling than having parents support any endeavor that you pursue. To all the parents out there, your children appreciate you way more than they may show. Cheers to all of you parents out their, as well as my own!!!

14. Amen to that.............My Dad played trumpet in the Amercan Legion Band in the 40's(Big Band Swing) and Mom played piano and sang to us all the time. Never once did they ever say" Cut that noise out down there" while we were jammin' to Cream,Hendrix,Blue Cheer,Zeppelin,etc.etc. in the 60's. All Praise to my folks for lettin' me and my brother"Kick out the Jams"!!! They were my biggest fans when we gigged and usually showed up to all of them. May they R.I.P.

15. My son is only a year and a half old but is already showing signs of loving music. I was born with a natural tendency to be a musician, playing my first song on piano at age 3, and my wife is also a gifted musician. My son, Owen, stops everything he's doing when a commercial comes on with music. He also gets up on the piano stool and beats the crap out of the keys but in his own 18 month old mind it's musical. He's also been busted grabbing microphones at church and singing into them, picking up drum sticks and hitting the snares and cymbals, and being really bad by messing with daddy's basses. I think he's coming along just fine although I saw him throwing one of his toys with his left hand. I sure hope he's not a lefty because I want to be able to buy him nice stuff so I can play it too.

16. I play keys and drums, besides bass. My oldest is 21 and plays bass and keys, including Hammond Organ. He leads and plays keys for a music team at a small church in the area, and plays bass in the youth band that I lead.

My next son is 18 and plays keys, sax, and drums. He and I play together at an inner-city church that meets Saturday evenings, and he want to study music in college.

I bought my daughter (16) an acoustic guitar and hooked her up with lessons from a buddy but she didn't stick with it. She'll end up managing her brothers as she has a good head for business.

What's great though is that my sons like mostly the same stuff as me (jazz, fusion, prog rock, etc.). We have sessions in basement blowing through tunes from the Real Book and have done a few jazz gigs together.

It's a great feeling to take the stage with your offspring.

John

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    My two sons are now 32 and 30. I bought the youngest one a bass when he was 14; and he started playing guitar soon after that. He now plays both. He writes a lot of songs, which he composes while playing guitar. On bass, he's a lot "busier" than I am. I'm more of a "keep-it-tasteful-and-in-the-pocket" type of player, while he's all over the place (in a good way!) On guitar, he took classical guitar lessons, so he does a lot of finger-picking and rarely uses a pick.

My oldest son just started playing guitar about 2 years ago, but he's getting fairly decent. When he and his family come to visit, we always jam for awhile, which is a lot of fun.

My daughter doesn't play bass, but I think it's just a matter of time. She used to play piano, but doesn't anymore. I always keep one of my basses and a combo amp at her house in case I get the urge to play while I'm over there. I figure it's just a matter of time before curiosity gets the better of her and she plugs that sucker up. ;)

18. I know what you mean about being a lefty.........My son's collection of guitars & basses is beautiful...........I pick them up and haven't got a clue........but it was a natural thing for him to go southpaw and they say your not supposed to try to change them. It still hurts that I can't play them though !!

19. Billminpa

Billminpa

May 19, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Here is a video of myself and my son at a local jam. I am the fat guy on bass and he is the handsome one on guitar... he just turned 18 this month but he has been playing semi-pro for a couple of years with one of the local top players doing and Eric Clapton Review. They are playing tonight at a local theatre to a sold out house.

20. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    My son isn't even 2 yet, and he won't stay away from my bass, guitar, or drum set.

Every time the band is over, he tries to get our drummer out of the way to play himself.