1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive 6 String Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCAirPasta, Jun 18, 2017.

1. LCAirPasta

LCAirPasta

Apr 12, 2016
    Hey all! I was looking to get into the 6 string bass world, but I'm not really into active electronics. Seems like most 6 strings are active, does anyone know of any cool passive options? My budget is about $1,200. Thanks for any feedback!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For $1,200, maybe Carvin might build what you want. Dean makes passive sixes for maybe $400. The easiest may be to wire a used Ibanez passive.

LCAirPasta likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    SX or Brice are other low priced options for passive sixes.

4. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I don't know that passive on a six is a carvin/keisel option (for the most part, only the 4 has traditionally been available passive) but they might build one if you called and asked

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think it is s listed option, but if someone asked, they might do it.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  6. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Peavey

ba55i5t, LCAirPasta and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I forgot about them!

8. LCAirPasta

LCAirPasta

Apr 12, 2016
    I've never done anything with electronics other than installing a pickup in a Squire P bass. I didn't even know you could wire an active bass to be passive! I'll have to look up some youtube videos of that

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think a Peavey Grind is probably the best out of the box passive six for the money you can buy.

10. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Most basses that we call 'active' have passive pickups, and are 'active' pre-amps only.

11. desert_rain

desert_rain

Jul 14, 2015
    I changed warwick corvette's mec pre with delano. Delano has true by pass. It works passive when swithed to passive. I checked true bypass function via removing battery. It still works without battery ;) you can reach your active tone also, active mod avaliable with delano pre-amp.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    LCAirPasta likes this.
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Stambaugh.

Chris made me an amazing passive 6-string.

13. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Kiesel would be an option. The only models that comes standard as passive are the LB-series and the Vader headless basses. A no-frills LB76 would run you right at $1,200. Since you get $100 in free options, you could dress it up a bit and have a custom passive 6er. :thumbsup:

Any other model, you'd probably hafta call in and order it, but I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to put less electronics in a bass...;)

14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    you can easily make any bass Passive .. ! as long as the pups aren't Active ( as in requiring power )

remove preamp , install new pots/cap = passive

15. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    carvin for sure

16. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Gecko!

OR

Buy an off the shelf sixer used (tons of them out there) and swap out the pups/pre for a nice Delano/Aguilar/Bart/Nord set w a passive harness

MobileHolmes likes this.
  17. This is an odd thing to fixate on. Pick the bass that sounds good/performs well, and don't worry about whether it is active or passive.

Alternatively, pick the bass that sounds good/performs well, and rewire it passive, if it happens to be active.

Garret Graves likes this.
  18. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I converted my TL6 to passive, its a mich fuller tone now. I have an MXR M81 that I use when I need a bit more oompf.

[​IMG]

Bob_Ross, BassmanM and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is sweet!

20. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Passive, Active, who cares as long as it sounds good? I love my active 6er, but would not care if it was passive as long as it still sounded the way it does.:D