1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive input on Basic Black really quiet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kermit1845, May 20, 2011.

1. Kermit1845

Kermit1845

Apr 12, 2011
    I recently got back into playing and I found a used SWR Basic Black on CL for $175. Based upon numerous positive reviews I bought and have been very pleased with the tone, but I noticed at band practice that I have to turn it up really far (3 o'clock on both master and gain) to be heard. So I decided to try the active input which should be quieter, but it was much louder. Any ideas what could cause that?

2. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Clarification needed. When you say "o'clock", I assume 7 is full off, and 5 is full on. In that case, 9 o'clock would not be up really far. Or do you mean 9 on a scale of 10?

And no, the active input should not be much louder than passive. Something may be wrong on the passive side.

3. Kermit1845

Kermit1845

Apr 12, 2011
    You're right. I meant to say 3 o'clock with 5 being full on.

Something is clearly wrong on the passive side. I was thinking the other day that the pre-amp tube is probably original from 1994. Could that be the problem?

4. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Thanks. Sorry for stating the obvious - "something may be wrong...". Have you tried cleaning the passive input jack?