1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive MM Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassdirty, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Does anyone no of a passive pickup that is similar to the "musicman" humbucker?

(for a bass without any preamp)

I did a search.
    :bag:
    didnt find much.

Thanks.

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    MM-style pickups are passive. For a pickup to be active, it has to directly connect to a battery. MM pickups don't. They connect to an active preamp. So, passive pickup, active battery. Any MM replacement pickup should work fine.

Bob

3. Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Thanks..
    I do understand that, but I just didnt know if a MM pickup would be "weak" or whatever , seeing as the MMs all have active preamps...

4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The OLP passive basses were made for Ernie Ball and were inepensive Ray clones; I keep missing them for reasonable pricing but have read here that they sound kinda Ray like

5. sdoow

sdoow

Jun 22, 2010
    Oklahoma
  6. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona

Attached Files:

7. Yes, MM pickups are traditionally passive.

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check out SGD Lutherie, they make an awesome MM-style pup!

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you run a normal MM-type pickup in series (instead of parallel like it comes on a stingray), it will be reasonably strong and full-sounding in passive.

(seymour duncan makes straight-up repros as well. music man will not sell one separately!)

10. Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Thx. 4 the help ;)

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I really like the Kent Armstrong MM Pickup. 13.5 ohms and sounds great no matter how its hooked up series/parallel/singlecoil.

12. I've used the MM pickup from www.guitarfetish.com and I think it sounds fantastic, even more so after I installed a pre amp.

13. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I have a MM5 style Bart in my G5 Bass, with an Active / Passive Bart preamp.
    In fact, with the tone controls flat in active mode,....then switched to passive mode (depending on the output gain setting of the pre) the pickup sounds the same......and I'm glad, if the two batteries happen to go dead during a performance (very doubtful) I know that the Bass will still sound the same to the end of the gig.