1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive Music Man??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hoodywah, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Hoodywah

Hoodywah

Feb 11, 2014
    Athens, GA
    None as of yet
    So, I am a passive guy but am interested in the sweet spot pickup position. I like the old Music Man basses and was wondering if they have ever made a passive model? Or if not, is it because the sweet spot isn't so sweet without an on board preamp?

2. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Check into early G&L basses and some newer models. They were built in the same factory as Music Man for a while.

3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I strongly believe the highlighted text to be the case. But I've never tried it myself.

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There is no "sweet spot". The closer a pickup is to the bridge the more trebly it sounds, but there is nothing magic about any placement in particular.

Rocker949 and Jeff Scott like this.
  5. Hoodywah

Hoodywah

Feb 11, 2014
    Athens, GA
    None as of yet
    I'm just using that verbiage because it's commonly called the "sweet sop" pup placement.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I don't think MM has ever had a passive model. However, I think there was a limited production model, possible a GC-only release, that had a passive mode.

Tbone76 likes this.
  7. Hoodywah

Hoodywah

Feb 11, 2014
    Athens, GA
    None as of yet
    I'm also interested in the fact that the ASAT has a passive mode but I hate the idea of paying for the extra electronics...heck, I'd rather that money go to a better fret job or wood choice.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I find pups in the MM position need bass boost to make me happy, and am not fond of them sol'ed. YMMV. Diffeent strokes.

9. Hoodywah

Hoodywah

Feb 11, 2014
    Athens, GA
    None as of yet
    I feel that. I play a PBass and a Jag CIJ with Rio Grande Muy Grande pups...about to receive a '77 RD standard so I like neck pups. Just interested in the idea more than anything.

10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Many, many, many a professional working bass player would disagree with this I'm afraid.

maxschrek and rogypop like this.
  11. Some of the American EBMM SUB's were passive. I never tried one (mine was active). Phenomenal instruments, shared the same pick up and electronics as the two band Stingray.

Worth keeping an eye on the classifieds. As they do pop up from. Time to time.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    blindrabbit likes this.
  13. Hoodywah

Hoodywah

Feb 11, 2014
    Athens, GA
    None as of yet
    very cool! And as I look at it with the knowledge that it has a passive mode, I feel like I just know it wouldn't have much beef. I know they really aren't so known for it anyway. I bet this thing would record like a dream (which is the only real reason that I'd want one anyway) and it looks great but I can already feel my interest slipping. A double humbucker model would (probably) make more sense. I'd still love to try one out alas, Athens, GA isn't much of a place for new gear. Much more the place for interesting modded and used gear. Oh well.

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    The Reflex & Big Al can both go passive. My Big Al sounds GREAT passive

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. The most resonant point for the best of all worlds is where the Precision pickup is located. The MM pickup was placed much closer to the bridge so it produced a much tighter, more focused, snappier tone. Because there's naturally less bass frequency down there due to the extra string tension near the bridge, the preamp was needed to boost the signal. And what a sound it created.

If you want to hear a passive bridge pickup in humbucker format, have a headphones listen to Ed Friedland's recent short review of the Fender Am.Std Dimension when he plays it on the back pickup alone. That'll give you an idea of the sound you'd get with a passive humbucker at the bridge, albeit with ceramic magnets.

rogypop and Hoodywah like this.
  16. Hoodywah

Hoodywah

Feb 11, 2014
    Athens, GA
    None as of yet
    Yes! I am really digging the Big Al and may have to throw a call to Atlanta to see if anyone has one in stock somewhere. I'm even a fan of the body shape as odd as that may be. It's a strange one.

17. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Musicman was BLOWING THEM OUT a while back in GC. You could call there & see which stores still have some in stock. I got ridiculously lucky getting the special edition green sparkle for a crazy used price. Its just a beast ! Once you learn what pickup combo does which sound best... THEN EQ from there, you cant lose

Hoodywah likes this.
  18. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you keep your eyes open, the original USA made Sub basses pop up once in a while, and also came in passive. The one I own has a 2-band passive tone circuit with a volume and bass/treble cut only.

It doesn't have the same "oomph" as an active Stingray, but still has the signature 'Ray tone.

Don't let that turn you away as it has the exact same, super hot humbucker that are in a "real" Stingray, minus the preamp. It still has a very hot output for a passive bass. I plan on installing an active preamp in mine because I want that extra kick, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad stock.

Forgot to mention, I paid $360 CDN w/ a HSC from the original owner of it. Still had the $999.99 price tag on it. I almost felt bad for not posting pics ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    blindrabbit and Tbone76 like this.
  19. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    +1 on keeping your eye peeled for a US Musicman SUB in passive. I had one and STUPIDLY sold it.

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. I have a passive OLP MM copy. It was active when I got it but I replaced the pickup and changed it to passive volume and tone with a series/parallel switch. I really like the tone I get from it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021