1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive P/J pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by astronauts_suck, Mar 22, 2006.

1. I'm looking into replacing the pickups and electronics on my Ibanez Soundgear with something passive. I want a good P/J set that's hot and punchy, but also with a nice low end. Kinda goin for a vintage-yet-modern vibe. I play a lot of different genres, although it's predominately rock and blues.

Thanks in advance.

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    probably bartolini's all the way.

or if u wanna get fancy and lose the battery/3 band eq, try a set of villex pups.

3. +1 to the Barto's.

I have that exact setup in my bass (P/J passive, Vol, Vol, Tone) and it sends a pretty hot signal. Tones can cover the whole spectrum from Dub/Reggae to a "Bitey" J tone, and SUPER quiet. Highly recommended.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Barts might be a great choice, but I'm not real familiar with them. I'd recommend Seymour Duncan Hot for P-bass mixed with a Hot Stack J for the bridge. If you don't mind single coil hum, then maybe a Hot for J-bass or even Quarter Pounder J for the bridge.

I have the Hot for P-bass, which I always recommend for anyone seeking hot, punchy output with a vintage vibe. I think it's excellent, and because of its slightly muted treble, I think it would be especially great with a J pickup at the bridge.