Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Patch Cables or Solid Couplers for Pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, May 18, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I've been debating whether or not to switch out my Hosa patch cords on my pedalboard for solid couplers. It seems to me that the solid ones would have less capacitance and less signal loss, due to their cable-less design. I recently switched my instrument cables for Monster Jazz's and now I feel like the patch cords I'm using are a weak link in my signal chain. Does anyone have any experience with the solid type couplers or have any suggestions for some larger guage patch cords? I have been eyeballing the George L's but I was hoping I could find a cheaper solution. Thanks in advance.

2. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    My own experience says go with cables.

Using solid Jack/Jack connections results in the pedals either side of the one you stomp on rocking about, as there is no flexible lead inbetween

3. You are correct. There will be less capacitance to affect the signal with the solid connectors and less to go wrong.

4. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    this is a good point and why i have not got any myself, is there anyone that can share their experience with these types of connections? :bag:

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Also, the amount of cable used for a bunch of pedals is not exactly going to run to metres and meters !
    I have 6 pedals, and the total length of all cables isnt much more than a meter - the capacitance problem will be nothing you will be able to hear

..unless you have like, 50 pedals, i cant see a problem using cable over solids.

And another thing, using solids is not a problem if all your pedals can be mounted in one line left to right / right to left, and that INPUTS and OUTPUTS are all orientated on the same sides. EG input on left side , output on right side

I have at least 3 of my pedals that dont comform.

My TE SMX comp has the input and output reversed to a Boss, and also they're on the top, unlike the BOSS
    My APHEX EXCITER has the inputs and outputs at the top of the pedal, unlike like BOSS
    My UNIBASS has the Ins and Outs also on the top.

This is where the Solid Jacks over Cabled Jacks breaks down.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    i use three of them to connect my EBS pedals together, plus one for connecting two boss pedals.

first off, i think they save a bit of space on your pedalboard.

second, i haven't really notice a difference in sound. this is probably a good thing. i do notice that they don't "crackle" at all. plus i haven't had one breakdown on me either. (i think 3 years now)

umm.... third, they were pretty cheap. i think $2 each.

i agree with the other post about making sure the ins/outs line up. if not, your pedals won't be flush to the board, and there's a chance you could damage the jacks when switch your pedals on and off.

i can't really think of anything else to help you... mostly i change my cables because i found that i would always destroy the right angle short cables. i still have a few of them connecting pedals, that i'm considering changing to george l's. people here say good things about them.

7. If you are going to use cable then I suggest the George L for less hiss.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If you run all BOSS/Digitech/DOD/etc. where the inputs are all on the right side, and the outputs are all on the left side, and the pedals are all roughly the same size, and you don't mind having all of your pedals in a row, I say go for it.

If you need them in multiple rows, you'll probably need a 1' or 3' cable to run from the output of row 1 to the input of row 2. The other draw back is that you can't stick pedals that are always on up and away from pedals you use intermittenly.

I'm in the same boat as Magus. I have 2 BOSS pedals on my board now. One (Chorus) is tucked up and out of the way, since it's on 100% of the time. The other (my Tuner) is tucked up and out of the way, so I don't accidentally hit it while playing my wah.

My wah and volume are both in-right out-left, but are longer, and would make a really silly looking set-up. The other three pedals I have are all top-loaders. One of them (Big Muff PI) is reveresed, so I actually have my cables crossing.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I go with George L's, mostly because my pedals aren't standard size and rarely fit side by side.
    Solid connectors are a good solution though.

10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I must also add that i use decent Cable ( Klotz pro mic cable mostly ) and Neutrik + RS connectors

11. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    thanks C-5KO - does anyone have any links to check out cabless patch connectors, anyone? :confused: www.georgels.com seems to be having problems and won't load .. for me anyway

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  13. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    checkin' them out now, thanks!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally prefer ProCo cables, or have one of two people make them for me. I can pick my color using Canare cable, and I'll go for the switchcraft connectors, which I like better than Neutrik, are smaller, and pretty sturdy. Haven't broken one yet. Right angle cables for sure, and you can stagger the pedals up and down if you have to.

I've had good and bad experience with George L's. Wired two boards fine, then when I tried to wire mine, I had a few bad cables due to faulty connectors, then when I tried to get a refund for the setup, they wouldn't refund me for the cable I cut off and couldn't use because of faulty connectors. Haven't gone back since then.

15. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I had a very similar experience. Bad connectors, bad karma, and a bad setup resulting. Hunting down the culprit sucked, and not getting a refund was worse. I now have about 20 feet of George L cabling, and Tons of connectors, all sitting in the closet. I went back to the Procos.

16. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I think the fear of that happening is what kept me away from George L's to begin with..

Also, Call me crazy, but non-soldered 1/4" connections kinda worry me to begin with *L*

I'll stick with my Electrovolts...

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

if they're still work, want to sell them?

18. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for the info, all. I am thinking that cables are the way to go. I am also thinking that making my own will probably give me the results I want. That said, does anyone know a good source for high quality cable and terminators? I would like twelve guage cable and all right angle plugs. Money is kind of an issue right now so I'm looking for a cheap solution, if that's possible. I think I'll stay away from the George L's too. Once again, thanks for all of your input.

19. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Naw... they are good for backup, and quick patching of new effects in my chain at home. Just an expensive backup, unfortunately.

20. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    High quality right angle terminals/cable + cheap solution = NO WAY.
    Unfortunately good cabling is high dollar, and right angle are really high, unless you want to order like 500.

But making your own cables is the way to go, IMO. It's just hard top do on a limited budget.