Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul McCartney live.....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eggman, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Got to see Sir Paul last night in Denver. First time I have seen him live. Very good show - good sound - great stage, lighting and effects. Paul was solid - bass playing clean - voice great considering the years. Backup band was very good - all sang which gave some great 5 part harmonies. The drummer, Abe Laboriel, Jr., kicked some major a$$. Man he was good. I would give my left one to play with a drummer like Abe.

Paul played a Hofner bass - no Ric. When playing guitar or piano, the rhythm guitarist played bass - mostly a Guild (Les Paul shape) and a hollow body Gibson (ES 335 shape).

Overall a great show. I hope I can still rock when I get to be Sir Paul's age.

2. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Paul hasn't used his Ric' live since "Flowers in the Dirt", when he rediscovered his Hofner. I've read that he brings it (the Ric') along as a back up, but he also has a new Hofner as a bcakup too, so it's unlikely the Ric' will be getting used any time soon.

He is great live isn't he? :)

~Paul :)

3. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I saw him a Bridge School last year, it was a damn good show. All around good time.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think it's been longer than that. The latest pictures I've seen him with the Ric are mid-'70s Wings, around the "Wings Over The World" tour. Soon after he switched to a Yamaha, which you can hear on the bassline for "Goodnight Tonight". During "Flowers In The Dirt" he was playing mostly a 5 string Wal. Honestly I think some of his best sounding bass is from that Wal and he was not shy with the low notes below "E", which I also love.

It was Elvis Costello who convinced Paul to pull out the old Hofner, I believe specifically for the recording of the song "Veronica", which has a delightful bassline by Sir Paul. (I would not be surprised if producer T-Bone Burnett had a hand in that as well).

5. Tojan

Tojan

Dec 3, 2005
    Sweden
    I've seen Macca live twice, -93 and -03, and it has only been Höfner.
    As Philbiker says, the Ric hasn't probably beem used live since the 70's. It's a pity I think, as I'd rather see him playing that on tracks like
    Sgt Pepper rather than hearing him playing the lead guitar (which he obviously did on the record too).

6. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I saw him live in 2002 at Earls Court. That was great, he is a good solid player and yea the drummer(the large guy) he is wicked on drums