1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul Rudd...slap-a-da bass, mon!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by T-Forty, Apr 2, 2009.

1. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    From "I love you, man"

hah

2. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    I saw that flick with my gf over last weekend. Cool movie. I laughed a lot. :D

I like Paul Rudd. He was a big part of what made Knocked Up enjoyable to me. Wonder if he really plays bass? It was cool seeing Lou Ferrigno, too. Big fan since the old Hulk show. From all accounts, he's a super nice guy.

And seeing Rush perform in the movie was pretty cool. :)

3. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    OK, Now I have to see this.

Bogster, you should check out Role Models as well. I was laughing so hard, tears were rolling down my face!

4. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    This is a movie all bass players should see.

I don't think Rudd plays bass for real, but his enthusiasm is hilarious.

Good to see the bass getting some time on the big screen.

5. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Yeah, I wanna see that, too. :)

6. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    That scene is pretty much a play-by-play of my wife & I talking about bass... especially the "please don't do that" bit. :atoz:

:D

I was planning on going to see this movie with the Mrs. tomorrow night anyway (rare night off from giggin'), but now I definitely have to!

7. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Akk I didn't even know about this movie and I love Paul Rudd, damn being out of the country!

8. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i slapida bass! i slapida little bass!

9. hes sure come a long way from being an extra in stella shorts and wet hot american summer.

he and elizabeth banks deserve it.

10. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    "Air bass works much better up here." *plays at chest height*

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Classic. Paul Rudd cracks me up. He had a small, but funny guest appearance on Adult Swim's "Delocated" a few weeks ago. I like that he's enjoying some reasonably large success, but still does the goofy nickel and dime stuff on Adult Swim.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Hmm. I've been interested in this film.

13. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    From a review I found:
    Both guys also get to literally rock out in the film, as a side plot involves them and the band Rush (yes, they make a cameo). As music becomes part of their new friendship, they take to picking up instruments and playing covers of Rush songs. In real life, Segel is a solid pianist, and Rudd has played some guitar. Onscreen, Segel grabs a guitar, and Rudd becomes a bass man.

“It looks pretty good in the movie, but sadly, I was unplugged,” admits Segel. “We were coached [but we weren’t playing].”

“I’d never played bass before,” says Rudd. “So I learned some basic bass lines — not the way [Rush bassist] Geddy Lee can play them. But now I can do the bass lines for ‘Tom Sawyer’ and for ‘Limelight.’ ”

He pauses, then laughs and adds, “I really did feel like the Jaco Pastorius of the set.”

14. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Cool. I'll trade him, then. He can come play bass in my band and I'll star in a movie where I get to kiss Rashida Jones. :D ;)

15. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    ... who is the daughter of none other than Quincy Jones, for those of you who didn't know! :smug:

16. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    I sww the movie last weekend and i did enjoy it, a lot. Slappin dee Bass, mon. lol
    "Why do you sound like a leprechaun?"

17. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Yeah, I just found that out pretty recently. Kinda' spun me out as I had no idea...

18. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Wasn't that Rudd in "Juno" too? That cat plays a Les Paul with the young chick in one sorta funny scene. I think it was him.

:eyebrow: I know, I know that's really a young-chick, chick-flick. But friggin HBO wears you down where you end up watching a flick you never thought you would. LOL. :rollno:

And on a more grown up note; yes that Rashida is a real hottie, hehe.

19. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009

I think that was Jason Bateman from Arrested Development (not the Hip Hop group).

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I believe you're thinking of Jason Bateman. The star of Arrested Development, and let's not forget about Teen Wolf 2! :p

EDIT: Beaten to the punch... but come on... Teen Wolf 2!!! :D