Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pavel Jakub Ryba.... second Jaco?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vysous, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Hello everybody....
    Does anybody know this superb Czech bassist???
    I heard he's called The Second Jaco by jazz musicians in United States... I heard his recording with Mike Stern and with some Czech jazzists and he is GREAT! I have to agree with that "second Jaco".... it's pretty amazing what can this man play!
    He's just fretless DEMON!
    And btw... he's Warwick signature bassist....
    Has anybody heard some his recordings?

2. This guy is pretty good, I don' tknow about the second Jaco - but he does tear up a fretless. On his website http://www.pjryba.com/en/index2.html tracks 3 and 7 are pretty good playing - 3 does some pretty fast harmonic playing - which is nice

And is tone sounds futuristic - like Jaco's sounded in the 70s (I assume, i'm only 16 hehe)

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    great samples... definitely shows some great influences.

I dig it.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Damn I hate to post a comment like this, but I feel like I should.

No! I don't like his playing, nor am I impressed with it. I think what bothers me is that his playing feels very dispersed, like there isn't a good time sense or role of bassplayer being played. Or maybe its his tone which I don't like. :bag:

A great thing about Jaco is that he could lay down a fat groove, without overplaying.

IMO Richard Bona was the next Jaco. Now he's just 'Richard Bona' and has earned that :smug:

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I listened to tracks 3 and 7 and didn't really hear anything that especially caught my ear, let alone anything comparable to Jaco. It's solid playing in it's own right though. I don't like the overall arrangement on the songs I've heard either -- definitely not something you'd catch in my CD player. He also plays the riff to The Chicken and... well, that's not easily pulled off. Thumbs sideways!

6. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    Amen to that !!

7. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i have this friend who has this jaco-vibe/look , and really plays like him, my bass teacher was really impresed with this guy, he even have double jointed thumbs.. the thing is that he left the music school because he wanted to study anthropology (uh?) well, his mind is kind of problematic, so he have done lots of weird stuff lately... another jaco factor? who knows

by the way i really didn't liked the bassist above, but hey he might do something better in the future.

i do prefer richard bona thought, but i'm not gonna consider him a next jaco, he is a cool himself on his own.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I listened to "Tomorrow Will Be Better". It's okay. I didn't hate it; but for me, there's something missing. It doesn't sit very deep in the groove. I can't put my finger on it. It didn't make my big toe shoot up in my boot.

Joe

9. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    I dont think there can ever be a second jaco. Jaco was a innovator that is what made Jaco, Jaco. Few modern bassists are as innovative as Jaco many might be able to play chops to match and pass Jaco's playing ability but i don't think that is what was great about Jaco. Sure he had the chops but it was the music as a whole that IS Jaco.

This guy isn't bad he can play but not anything i really like.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    On track 7, anyone notice how similar the bass line is to The Chicken ?

11. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

A great thing about Jaco is that even when overplaying he could still lay down a fat groove.
    ;)

12. jaco is jaco...

seriously tho, whats with all those "2nd Jaco" posts, its silly tbh.

If he was THAT good, we'd be talking "here comes Pavel, screw Jaco" instead, know what I mean?

13. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Ok, ok
    I never said I think he's second Jaco...
    I just heard it.....
    I know there was, is and will be only ONE Jaco....

And I have to be a bit patriotic, he's from my country.
    I just wanted to show him to you....

So, take it easy, listen to jazz, make love, eat chinafood.....