1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pawn shop Ken Smith CR4J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B_Sharp, Jan 21, 2017.

1. B_Sharp

B_Sharp

Jan 21, 2017
    IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1207.JPG I recently came across a 96' Ken Smith model CR4J at a local pawn shop. Wondering if anyone has any info/opinions on this model. I know it has the jazz pickups and besides a bad connection at the input jack it's still sounds sweet and plays pretty nice. It has some wear but where you'd expect to see it. Other than that it's in pretty nice shape. They want $800 out the door on it with the original case which I don't think is too bad a price even with the finish blemishes. Is it worth picking up?

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yes. IMO.

Your money, your call.

Good luck.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    $800 USA Ken Smith, of course that's a GREAT deal! I bet the electronics issue is minor. As long as the truss rod works, snap it up!

4. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    Dude...grab it!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, you don't want it, PM somebody and let them buy it!

Bodeanly likes this.
  6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Looks like a cool pawn shop. I rememberer those Ken Smiths and had a friend who had one back in the day. Seems like they were around $1500.00 new. That one looks like it's been played a lot. As I recall it didn't really sound like a Jazz bass and it is, IMO, one of the least attractive Smith basses, but like Doc said, if the truss rod works it sounds like a good deal.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. I wouldn't hesitate, one bit, to buy that ASAP. That's a good deal.

8. KC4BASS

KC4BASS

Feb 7, 2014
    Did you buy the bass because I will. let know either way.