1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pawn shop reclamation project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbplayer59, Jan 8, 2017.

1. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I found this bass for $50 in a local pawn shop. I had never heard of a MIK Fender "Squier Series". As you can see, Fender is in large script, and a tiny decal says Squier Series. It was built in 1993. Weird thing about this is the body is laminated, like plywood. Here's what was wrong with it: really dirty, high action, no controls, corroded strings.

These are the before pics. 20161229_150942. 20161229_150948. 20170108_175318.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I replaced the controls with American style pots with solid 1/4" shafts. The knobs are authentic Fender. I shielded the control panel which originally had some carbon paint on the bottom, but not sides. I had to use a small shim to get the action right. I got all these parts from Stewart Macdonald.
    Bridge was disassembled and polished. I replaced the pickup with an old SPB2 I had. I found the original too hot, and a little harsh.
    In any case, it came out great. I love the neck, and it setup nicely. Oh, and it's light. At least lighter than my 1976 ash bodied P. So, it's going to get played.
    Here's the after pics. 20170108_195223. 20170106_191845.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    MonetBass, MattZilla, 6string and 5 others like this.
  3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Great find!

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've heard tales of the MIK Squiers being rather awesome. Furthermore, I've also heard rumors of the Squier ProTone Series (mid-90's, MIK) being discreetly shut-down due to their ability to outperform their MIM counterparts. :whistle:

If even half of these tales are true, you found one helluva bass…so, great score and greater resurrection project! :thumbsup:

tbplayer59 likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

wow: nice find, great save! congratulations! really nice! :thumbsup:

tbplayer59 likes this.
  6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great job and nice score!

7. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Cool save! I love the colour of the body and the subtle pickguard tan-line. The world is always a wee bit happier when an instrument is brought back from obscurity like this.

tbplayer59 likes this.
  8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I've worked on two of these, both Korean Precisions, both that color.

Yes, the bodies of both were laminated, and fairly heavy.

9. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Amazing how the color varies in the pics depending on the light.

10. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    The frets and bridge really remind me of my 90 Young Chang Jazz.
    The dots are totally different though, and I don't think mine is plywood (it's not heavier than a regular Jazz).

11. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Mine feels light. Again, my main point of reference is a mid 70's ash body.

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Not to get too off topic, but that's not the real ProTone story.
    Fender was trying to make Squier into more of a stand alone brand at the time (really bad idea), with ProTone being the high end of the product line.
    They were considerably more expensive than MIM Fenders, with both being more or less the quality you'd expect for their respective prices.
    ProTones didn't sell well because nobody wanted to pay $600 for a Squier. Used ones are usually a bargain considering the better than average quality. When you can find them.

tbplayer59 and Malak the Mad like this.
  13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

No kidding, huh? Thanks for the info, dude! :thumbsup:

lz4005 likes this.