Paypal Fees

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Goalee1, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Buyer

2 vote(s)
  2. Seller

5 vote(s)
  1. Goalee1

Jul 1, 2003
    Just was wondering, I've seen this in other forums and wanted to see what the consensus was here. Who do you think should pay for the extra paypal fees, seller or buyer? Before you immediately say buyer, think about the fact that the seller is having the funds directly placed into his or her account. For this convenience, In my opinion, (and this is just my opinion), the seller should cover the extra fee. And by the way, if you only have a personal account (not a business or premier account), there is no charge for an account to account transfer, the only downfall is that you can't use CC's. What do you guys and gals think? G1
  2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Whoops. I clicked buyer, but meant to hit seller :p

Obviously the seller should have to. He's the one using the paypal service for recieving money. Though there isn't much you can do if the seller decides to tack on the paypal fee.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I believe its against Ebay policy for the seller to charge back the paypal fee to the purchaser, even if it is disclosed as such in the auction terms.

If a seller wants to do this, he should just increase the minimum sale price to compensate.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    It's actually illegal to charge a different price based on method of payment. Or something to that effect. That is why merchants can't charge you more for using a credit card, even though they have to give 3% to the credit card company.
  5. I just pad the flat shipping charge a bit to try and offset the fees. Many ppl on eBay do this ... some to an outrageous extent. But for what I have sold, the fees aren't huge, I just look at it as the cost of doing business. It's called "overhead" in the brick and mortar world.