1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PBass Wiring w/Phase switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iriegnome, Oct 19, 2010.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am working on a bass and I need some guidence. I have a regular old D'marzio p-bass pickup. I also have a phase switch for it.
    Can someone please help me with this.
    Here is everything I have
    P-Bass Split coil pickup
    2 Position (on/on) phase mini switch
    Volume
    Tone
    Jack..
    HELP!!

2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Oh yea, I forgot - The Split Coil pup has 1 black and 1 white wire coming off it.

3. I can do you a diagram for this later, but I don't understand why someone would want a phase switch on a P pickup?
    Phase switches usually just give you a useless thin sound that is not good for much outside of weird sound effects.

Although not all that usable either, I think a series/parallel switch would probably be a better option.

4. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Since it's probably been drawn up 1000 times and I don't want to risk giving you a bad description, I'll point you here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Specifically, I think you want a variation on this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_1v_1t_sp

I presume you want Series/Parallel. Not really phase. Actually, I don't think parallel is that desirable on a P-Bass. Series just sounds so good. Phase is pretty useless - who wants a bass with no low end at all?

KO (Minneapolis)

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Sorry, the whole point is that this is a P-bass split coil with 1 volume, 1 tone, a 2 position phase switch and jack. The pickup only has a black wire and a white wire off it, not 4 wires.

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    There will be a wire connecting the two halves. You cut that in half. It's the "opposite color" of the remaining wire on the pickup half.

KO

7. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The way the pickup is is series, the two "whites" and two "blacks" twisted together is parallel. You'll have to do a little figuring how the second set of black and white translate to green and red and work from there.

8. If you have only a two conductor output (Which is typical of most all P pickups.) you will need to convert to a four conductor output by replacing the short lead that connects the two coils in series with two wires that will run into the control cavity.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Wiring a p-bass pickup out of phase would really sound bad. All nasal and no low end. Perhaps the switch is for series parallel?

Here's a standard p-bass wiring diagram
    [​IMG]

Here is an out of phase p-bass wiring.
    p-bass_wiring_diagram.jpg

Here is one with a series parallel switch
    pbass_4conductor.gif

10. I'm not sure what's going on in this diagram.:confused:

The wiper of the volume should be connected to the output to avoid an unnecessary variable impedance loading effect as the volume is adjusted, and the tone control will add a resistance series to the signal path when turned down.

Also, 0.01uF? :confused:

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    My fault, I am trying to rewire my Hondo Longhorn bass. It has a Dimarzio Split coil pick up with a black wire and a white wire coming off the p'up. I need to wire in the phase switch, Volume & Tone knob and the jack.
    There are not 4 wires coming off the pickups, just 2.

12. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I don't understand "why?" either, but you could just use the switch to reverse polarity at the output. I don't know if that would be the same as phase, though.

13. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Reversing the polarity at the output would do just that - reverse the polarity of the output. It wouldn't affect the tone in any way.

The in-phase or out-of-phase tones rely on the mix between the two sound sources - the two pickup halves.

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I am wondering if you really want series/parallel instead of a phase switch. Since there is only one pickup, you are not going to hear any difference in the phase as you play only one string at a time.

Phase switches are usually used with 2 pickup basses where the same string is picked up at 2 different pickups at the same time.

15. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Though the P-bass-tetris-block pickup acts (towards the volume and tone controls) as a single pickup, both coils are still going to register some upper partials of any played tone - some interference is going to be heard, I'm certain.

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    UPDATE!! The pickup in my "new to me" bass is the wrong pickup. Not original. I will be posting a drawing of the original shortly.

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    So this is what an original looks like. Actually 5 wires coming off the P'up. 2 for each coil and a ground.

Attached Files:

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just posted in the WTB.. I am in need of the illusive 4 wire + ground exposed pole piece P-bass pickup.

19. Any non-epoxy potted P pickup can be wired for four conductors plus a ground if you want it to. All you have to do is replace the short lead interconnecting the two coils with two wires running to the control cavity.

There is no need for a ground lead, though, unless you are shielding the pickup.

FWIW, AFAIK, the only production model P pickups with four conductor outputs are the DiMarzios.