Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PBS and NPR

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sean_seanson, Jun 16, 2005.

1. sean_seanson

sean_seanson

Jul 14, 2004
    The House is threatening to eliminate all public funding for NPR and PBS, starting with "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow" and other commercial-free children's shows. Sign our petition to Congress opposing these massive cuts to public broadcasting. Tell your senators and representative:

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/

I know i grew up on Sesame Street and Reading Rainbow and I'm sure plenty of you did too.

2. I can't believe you just linked to a MoveOn.org article and considered it credible. Please don't make me close this thread.

3. And now for some facts:
    This has been a remote possibility (not a threat) since it was first discussed in the 1980's. Currently, the proposed cut is $100 million, or 25% of the current budget for the Corporation of Public Broadcasting (not all the funding, as they would have you believe). Please reread the previous sentence. Notice the 25% budget cut is for the CPB. This government-created entity is essentially the firewall between government influence and the public broadcasting it provides support for. It is not NPR or PBS, though it does provide funding for those organizations. Another problem with this statement is that it doesn't address the full process by which this budget is developed. Currently, it is in the House Appropriations SubCommittee. Their draft budget is then given to the House Appropriations Committee for approval. The same process is being followed in the Senate (we have a bicameral legislation, in case you forgot). So, you see, this is far from done.
    This line is so pathetic its comical. Congress has absolutely zero control over which shows are affected by any budget.

So, we've established that there is a budget cut proposal on the table. We've also established that the link you posted is pathetically inaccurate and misleading.

In case you have started thinking about taking to the streets over a proposed travesty...let's look a little further into the subject. (should I even bring up how many budget revisions my business goes through each year?)

Taken from: http://www.npr.org/about/place/corpsupport/financials.html
    Wow. A whole 2%. I had other sources that put it at 1%, but I wanted this to be fair.

In summary: A proposed budget that is several crucial steps away from even being approved has the potential impact of reducing NPR's buget by 2%, at most. Wow. That's not nearly as alarming as the link would indicate, but then, that's the point, isn't it?

Mike

4. bravo!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If PBS and NPR are that important, the folks that think they're both important will "step up".

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, deja vu all over again.