pc drumming program

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 6, 2004.

1. hello, i need a good drumming program for my recording. is there a good *cheap* program out there? i was looking at pc drummer, and at 55 dollars, it doesn't sound that bad. are there any more out there? btw, another reason i like pc drummer, is that it mentioned something about being able to export to cool edit pro 2, which i have. Thanks!
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    You can try Fruity Loops for free. Works pretty well and you can export to mid or wav files.
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I have Fruity loops 3, and I absolutely love this software. It takes a little time messing around with it, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy to lay down drum tracks with it. Not to mention the many other things you can do with this software. I'm still learning how to use many of the options.

I downloaded mine from *cough-kazaa-cough* and it was worth every penny I never paid! :smug:
  4. My thoughts about downloading something as cool as FruityLoops from Kazaa have been aired here before, but I strongly urge you to do the decent thing and pony up for a "real" version. It doesn't cost much and you get free updates for life... Surely that can't be bad.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Very good point! I'm not saying that my piracy is right, but it is a way for people to try out a product without dishing out the dough on a program they are not going to like. Why waste the money on something you will not use?

I love the program, and I will pay for the full version (when I have the money) just to get those free updates for life......that, and an instructional manual might help me out a ton!

Thanks for advice! :)
  6. it speaks volumes that a Moderator is a pirate. Would you go to a store and thief it off the shelf, and then come back and pay for it "when you have the money"?. Think about that the people who created the software are most likely musicians, and not making a killing from their product; they're just like you and me. You're ripping them off, and there's no good excuse, no matter what your intentions.

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Did I steal anything from you? Did I pull food from your plate? NO! I already have the software downloaded, and I no longer use any peer-to-peer software. I'm not going to apologize for my actions. Whats done is done, and make your own judgments, just as I've made mine!
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Fruity Loops 3 is easy to use. I import drum loops into Acid Pro or Cakewalk. I haven't tried any others so I don't know how it compares.
  9. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Hey Mark,

I have to agree with Joe here. It's a much better idea to try out programs before you buy them. What if it ended up being a crappy program and he couldn't return it? Then he would be the one getting screwed. This way, both people are happy. He did say he was going to pay for it when he could--I don't think there's a problem here:meh:
  10. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Programs like this should all have a *trial* period anyways, otherwise how will you know if you're gonna like it or not?

Fruity Loops is great, but the beats sound a little "computerized" and not very natural, plus you always have to edit your loops a bit to make them loop (timing) propperly.

A program called Sequbeat Pro is great, but the interface is ugly as $#%#... it does however make good beats/loops that sound very real and allows you to "acidize" them for use in Acid.

Another method would be to find single beats (wav files) and make your own beats in acid (this is tougher) beat by beat... Meaning you would have a seperate track in acid for each type of beat/hit.

Atleast with Sequbeat Pro you can download a trial.
  11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Fruity Loops does have a free demo version
    PC Drummer does have a free demo version

Neither lets you save/export projects in the demo version - which does allow you to try them out and evaluate their capabilities and sound.

I'm evaluating both trying to decide which I'm going to buy once I have the cash available.

So far PC drummer looks easier to mix feels (set up different patterns with triplet and sixteenth feels/subdivisions and mix-and-match them in a full song) but has a lot less overall functionality. Fruity Loops doesn't seem as easy to do the same thing but I need to try subdividing the beat into 12 and see if that seems like an easy enough approach to do the same thing. If anyone has any tips on using Fruity Loops and mixing feels let me know.
  12. As the man just said, both programs *do* have trial versions, just like the big sequencers.

If you delve a little deeper into how FL works, it's more like a combination of a sampler and a pattern sequencer. The quality of the sounds is only dependent on what you put in. The packaged sounds are aimed at a dance/techno audience so they reflect that audiences preference for classic techno drum sounds - Roland TR808, TR707, TR909 etc. You can load up any "real" drum sounds you like (tablas, percussion hits etc.) into a sampler track and then formulate your own patterns. I think browsing through the help files you'll also find quite a large scope for different feels, shuffles etc. It's really *very* versatile if you spend some time getting to know how it works.

About editting your loops to make them loops properly, it sounds like you might prefer a package like Steinberg Remix, Acid or Ableton Live which loop up loop phrases and stretch loops to beat match them. FL doesn't do this so well, but it isn't really set up to do that as it's main feature.

That's exactly what FL is set up to do. Take individual hits and let you sequence them through the pattern entry screen.

I use FL for creating loops from hits, then use Remix to match up these loops with others and make sure they loop in time. Two different packages for two different purposes. However it has to be said that FL *can* do a lot more than just that.
  13. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yes, I have been using Fuity Loops along with Acid, SoundForge, Cakewalk, Rebirth, several others for a few years now and am quite aware of what they are capable of. You can sequence your beats in Fruity Loops (which is what it is meant to do) OR you can sequence your beats in Acid (along with stretching/shrinking/beat matching). It is way more difficult, but also way more configurable. If you have a wav file of a single kick drum, a wav file of a single snare, a wav file of a single hihat, (etc) you can import each single beat into Acid on its own track. Then move/copy/paste them to be in the sequence you want. Nothing really gets more configurable than this, but it takes way more time and way more patience. It wouldnt be the ideal way to do this, but, it can be done to your exact liking. It is easier to make a complete drum beat (in sequence) using Fruity, then import it (along with other already sequenced beats) into Acid and use them together however you wish (on seperate tracks) and put together your song... But, keep in mind there are no right or wrong ways to use these programs, just have fun and experiment to see what gives you the outcome that you want.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to sound like a pro, I'm just giving my feedback. I just started messing with these programs again after a couple years of not using them so I'm definately not "pro"... but, there are no rules to using these programs.. Like the other guy said, basically use something to create beats, and something else to mix/align your beats together. Just play with these progs and you will figure it out in no time ;)
  14. Hey Boozy,

Looks like you know your biscuits... ;) Sorry if that earlier reply came across wrong.

Have you tried Ableton Live or Steinberg Remix yet? They're pretty funky bits of kit. They're kind of like Acid but different.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The same but different:) I like that expression. Can I use it?
  16. I use a demo version of PC drummer, but I have my recording setup hooked up so I can record stuff playing on my computer INTO my computer, so it's like one big loop. It's a little better than exporting a wav file, as I'll changing the BPM slightly in random places to huminize it
  17. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    MKS, no offence taken at all... it's sortof hard for me to explain using these programs sometimes so no worries.. i often try and do things in an unconventional way as things seem to work well for me while doing so.

Nope, I can't recall using Ableton or Remix but I will definately check them out. I know Steinberg makes some incredible music editing programs so I am gonna try and check into Remix anyways... I always liked Rebirth alot but found it fairly difficult to get good at using, maybe for the more advanced. I havn't tried PC Drummer either tho I don't think... sometimes I download demo's and dont like them and uninstall them right away, but I'm gonna check into those programs mentioned anyways and see what theyre like.

Thanks for the feedback, these threads sure are helpfull :)

18. Remix is a Steinberg licenced, cut-down version of Ableton Live. If you try Live first and like it, but the cost is a little high then try Remix as an alternative. (I think it's something like $60 for Remix, $300 for Live).

Live works by time-stretching and pitching up/down samples and loops to beat match different loops. In that respect it's quite similar to Acid. The difference is the way it does the time-stretching is quite flexible and you can choose different algorithms depending on the loop type (rhythm, vocal etc.). You can also set marker points which "lock down" certain beats or beat portions which allows you to define the beat stretching to a certain extent. The loops can be manipulated to change pitch according to an envelope (so you can actually change pitch of the loop as it plays).

Finally, and most importantly for live use / performance, you can assign loops to different "keys" on the interface or on a MIDI device and trigger them, or toggle them on and off in a live performance. There's also a "sequencer" Acid-like page that can record your performance for later tweaking and tidying.

The main thing that Live has that Remix doesn't is the ability for you to play in audio, record, loop it and drop it into the mix as if it was any other loop. This gives some really awesome scope for beats / live bass performances.

I dig it.
  19. I like the drum editor in Reason, wich is an awesome program. Quite expensive, though, but it's worth the money...
  20. Shareware drum sequencer (accepts wav files) - 30 day unrestricted demo - $30 to buy. Comes with a sample kit that isn't very useful, but the kick is killer for metal in my opinion.

Free wav sampled kit - Totally free. Currently offline, but it should be back soon.

These two downloads can set you up with some decent drum tracks. You can export as a stereo wave with panning for each sample, which is handy.