peavey amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rynkc26, Oct 21, 2004.

1. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    ive been waitin to get a brand new head for a long time and im soo close but still cant wait. ive been lookin at cheaper amps see if there is a substatute for the ampeg svt 3 pro. well i came down to a cheaper Peavey Pro 500™ 500W Bass Head with Tube Preamp. i cant find any reviews on this head except for one on and it didnt help at all. has anyone played the peavey head and if so is it worth gettin or should i wait a little longer for the ampeg svt 3 pro. thanks for all the input.
  2. as much as i have to say about a lot of peavey gear, i don't really know much of anything about the pro 500, except that all of our bass endorsers use it. i hear it's very versatile and has a good overdrive sound, but i haven't played one to be able to verify that.

check out harmony central -- there's a couple reviews of the pro 500 head. you might also learn something from the user's manual.

3. I used to have the Pro 500. It's a great little amp. I was able to get a tight, punchy tone from it. The parametric eq was sweet. I ended up selling it after I purchased a Sunn 300t...the Peavey sounded thin compared to the Sunn. I recently sold the Sunn and am playing through a SWR, so go figure. I wouldn't mind having another, and maybe run a sansamp with it for some warmth. What would you use for cabinets with the Peavey?

Bottom line: great sounding amp, fairly light, no problems (with mine) never ran hot, at 2 ohms even. I would buy another at the right price.
  4. rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004
    i already have a 810tvx peavey cab so it should be perfect w/ it but would the ampeg svt3 pro sound better w/ the cab since the ampeg has more wattage and more tubes for the preamp?
  5. doubtful. the svt-3pro would sound better if you prefer its characteristic sound over the more versatile peavey. i have read that you can emulate some svt sounds with the pro 500, but it's not an ampeg and it's not meant to be one.

so you may have a tough choice to make soon, but if you can borrow, rent, or buy and return both heads, you can try comparing. you should have an idea of what each can do with your gear. there's plenty of gear that i thought would sound good that didn't come anywhere near what i wanted. i'm glad i didn't buy it first and try to sell it used and at a loss.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Issue # 13 of Bass Guitar Magazine (UK-based) had a four amp shoot-out & the Pro 500 was included. They quite liked it. I recall from having read the article a while ago that they said it was good for rock, with some good grind out of the tube pre.

Look under back issues at:

I have an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro and while I like a lot of things about it, I bet you that the Peavey sounds louder even with the wattage deficit.

The Ampeg's 450 watts vs. the Peavey's 300 watts is only 1.5db louder in actual use and hard to tell the difference. 1 db is the theoretical smallest unit of measure where the human ear can detect a change in relative volume.
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As long as you're looking at Peavey Heads, Musician's Friend has the Peavey BAM Head on blowout sale for $499!