1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey B-Quad 4 transformation - creative content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Jun 6, 2014.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Pics will follow it's arrival on Monday.

I had a long-range eye out and one turned up on ebay recently. (If you're not familiar with what a fretless bass is, it plays the way a stand up bass would) < seller :thumbsup: I initially lost the bidding to 2 others and then it re-appeared a week later (buyer opted out) and 2nd try was a charm (for a very reasonable price) so it's on its way in its orig Peavy HSC. Did extensive homework on it as I've not played one before and the verdict across the board was positive. Crazy high-end for Peavy in the mid 90's; US made, laminated maple body, 34" scale Modulus carbon neck, phenolic lined fretless 24 fret fb, twin Bartolini designed Peavy VFL HB's plus Fishman piezo pu w/18v pre, Wilkinson bridge, adjustable stereo and (default) mono jacks - looking forward to dealing w/such an interesting instrument. (3 pu's and many tonal choices)

SirMjac28, bluesdogblues and StuartV like this.
  2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have been wanting a B-Quad 5 for a long time.

Dan

JIO likes this.
  3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Awesome. Just straight awesome. :bassist:

JIO likes this.
  4. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I have read that the 5'rs are highly sought. My fretless 4 arrives tomorrow!

Peavy B-Quad 4.JPG B-Quad neck.JPG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  5. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Here's my B quad 5. all black. Never seen another black one. Hard to photograph...
    DSC07372. DSC07371.

Mystic Michael and JIO like this.
  6. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Freaking amazing players. I'd like to have a 4 string actually.

JIO likes this.
  7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Your black beauty is awesome looking! Is it opaque black or translucent?

8. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Opaque.

JIO likes this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Do you ever use the stereo option? What's your favorite mix of the 3 pu's? Are those GHS Progressives on it? Also - great strap! Perfect for that stealthy badass bass!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  10. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Never used stereo. Generally set everything centered, without the Piezos, maybe a little more bass/less treb. I have Labelle white tape wounds on it.
    Yeah, I love gator straps!

JIO likes this.
  11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Who makes that one? Is it actually leather? (faux gator)

12. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    It's actually leaher embossed. Made by a company ou of Pasadena CA. I forget the name. I could see if I can look it up when I get home tonight.

JIO likes this.
  13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    thanks!

14. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    The B Quad 4s I've had were the best 4 string basses I've ever laid hands on. If I regularly played 4s, I would have kept my last one. The B Quad 5 I had was equal in quality, but the playability was not the same. I think the fretboard was just a little too wide for my tastes. I sold that one because I just didn't enjoy playing it the way I enjoyed the 4s. I like the Peavey Cirrus 5 and Millennium 5 much better for playability.

JIO likes this.
  15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Got the bass - it's been used/played but everything checks out/works. The twin jacks need to be replaced and the gold hardware is worn and pitted which is ok because I plan on replacing the tuners and knobs/pegs w/black versions of the same. (never been a gold guy) The fb has some wear from round-wounds but nothing deep/problimatic. The neck is really fast (J-like) and after running through some tonal possibilities it gives me the impression there's a lot going on. In fact, after making sure everything worked, I promptly took it apart. My plan in buying this cool bass is to do a Gildaxe finish on the body and hs face. I'm not crazy about the translucent berry colour and already know what I'm going to do. I like the dark woven quality of the graphite/carbon fiber neck so the body will follow suite w/a variegated black/gold, which is a heat-treated bronze leafing. It is primarily a med-dark greenish-black w/golds and magenta traces. This bass strikes me as "metal" material not only in its looks, but in it's sound. It's loud, and it has some pretty aggressive tone-age. Here's a few pics of it before I took it apart. Will post gilding process pics soon - stay tuned

Where's the dip-stick? - the cover holes are for accessing the stereo adjustments.
    IMG_6566_zpsfacf28b8.

...and under the circuit board - multicoloured angel-hair pasta!
    IMG_6572_zps342bfd9d.

I moved the strap-peg to the back of the horn & will fill the old hole. I just prefer it.
    IMG_6580_zpsd82a0cb4.

back of hs showing weave
    IMG_6579_zpsff524899.

tuners removed revealed a hollow hs!
    IMG_6584_zpsd3a88b5e.

and a leaf of variegated black/gold - hard to capture but this gives an idea. Each leaf is similar but different.
    IMG_6588_zps6adeaf0a.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    AGH and bluesdogblues like this.
  16. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Congratulations man,...(I remember once years ago I'd ever like to have a Peavey MIDI Bass by saw it's ads in BP or GP magazines LOL... but it never happen)..

JIO likes this.
  17. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Great. Thanks for the pics. Looking forward to seeing the finish.

JIO likes this.
  18. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    OK - here we go… While the size is setting on the body, I'll post these pics of the hs face I just gilded.

first shards applied as soon as the size hits the perfect tack - once it hits there is an envelope of time to complete the gilding before it starts to dry. Doing the body will be a bit frenetic as it's a nice warm day.
    IMG_6589_zps362964b7.

Just as the suns setting, I finished and got a couple shots outside. These gilded finishes are incredibly hard to photograph - as you can see from these 2 pics shot as I moved around a bit. Depending on the light it can look really different. Under stage lights - they look like they are glowing from within!
    IMG_6592_zps4985307f.

IMG_6593_zpsa27576da.

19. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Love your creativity. Keep it up.

JIO likes this.
  20. Looks cool.

JIO likes this.