1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey B Quad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HotTwix, May 24, 2012.

1. HotTwix

HotTwix Inactive

May 24, 2012
    Hello all! First post here so hopefully I don't get flamed :D

I was in my local pawn shop and I saw this Peavey B Quad which they told me was made by Modulus and wanted $900 for it.

Does this seem like a reasonable deal? It played amazing and is a real looker for sure :cool:

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The bass was made by Peavey, only the necks were made by Modulus. $900 is a little higher than the going rate for that bass. In a pawn shop, I'd expect it to be in the $800 range.

As far as value goes, though, $900 is a steal for a bass like that. Some think this was the best bass Peavey ever made. I could agree with that. The bass has very sophisticated electronics, with both magnetic and a piezo pickup.

If you are seriously considering the bass, make sure the piezo pickup works, and that the electronics have not been tampered with. Also - having a factory hardshell case is a big plus, as this bass has an unusual shape.

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    If it is in good shape that price is about right. I have owned two of them and paid a bit more than 900 for a minty one. It is the best bass Peavey made. That neck plays like greased lightning!

4. I had the last one the peavey factory made, a real pimp'in purple color, a lined fretless 5... I'm still kicking myself three years later after selling it........

5. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    Hi David! I'm the guy who bought your b-quad. It is a sweet instrument.

$900 for a b-quad?

DO IT!!!!

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Sell it back to him so David will stop kicking himself! :D

7. Shakey,
    I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did!

8. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    Oh, don't worry. I'm enjoying the dickens out of it. Thanks again for selling it to me!

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

900 for a food condition is more than fair - they sell for much more tfan this to international buyers

10. HotTwix

HotTwix Inactive

May 24, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up! :) Tomorrow I will be going back in to check out the electronics. I once had a carvin guitar with piezos so I hope I'll be able to test these accurately. I've got the money on hand so if all is well, I might just have my own first bass. I've been bumming them off of bandmates for years :p

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Wow, a B-Quad for your first bass? That's starting out at the top. Back 15 years ago, B-Quad's had and MSRP of $2,100.

12. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I just got another B Quad - I sold my white one w/ LED's ( after market LED's ) a long time ago.

The stacked volume pot on it has issues, and I hear this is normal.

So, here it is May of 2012, just to put a time reference here, even though you could just look to the upper left, but in case you didn't know to do that.

I took my B Quad to my friend and local tech to give it a once over. I told him things just don't seem correct with it.

He said it's like a rat's nest in there. A LOT of wiring. Anyway, the Piezo volumes had been turned down all the way from the back of the bass, hence the knobs had no affect.

Secondly, the magnetic pickup stacked volume pot is "bad". He called Peavey and they have the part for it. It costs a whopping $60 ! Considering a new Cirrus preamp is only $100.

I guess owning a B Quad is like owning a luxury car. Once you drive it, you can never go back to economy models. Using the same metaphor, I guess that means replacement parts will be expensive, too, BUT, I am so thrilled to know that replacement parts for the B Quad are available. I don't know if they have entire replacement preamps if it ever goes out, and I hope I never need to find out. Since we all know Peavey is known for reliability, I feel pretty safe.

So, since the stacked volume pot seems to be a common part to fail on the B Quad, I am posting this for those of you who have one so you know that Peavey still carries them in stock !!

Mike

13. 4 or 5 string?

14. mb94952

4 string, but does it make a difference ?

15. In my eyes, it makes a big difference. All of the B-Quads are highly desirable. But, in my eyes,the 5'ers are even more so.

16. mb94952

I was confused. I thought you were referring to my post of the stacked volume pot being available from Peavey still.

You were simply referring to the B Quad, itself.

I know you and Stu share the same opinion.