Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus BXP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Sep 4, 2004.

1. I've searched around a little and found nothing but good reports on the Cirrus.
    But, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the BXP version (Korean import, yes?) or has played both the regular and BXP models.

Thanks for any help guys.

2. Haven't played one, but on the Peavey forums a person who works for Peavey said that the materials are exactly the same on the BXP as the USA model - just assembled elsewhere...

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't seen one yet. If they have the same pickups and preamps as the Cirrus, and even close to the same build quality, they should be a great value.

4. I've continued my research a bit, and everything seems to be pretty similar.
    My main concern would be in construction/quality control, but Peavey is pretty reliable.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Are you talking about the Grind BXP NTB or some new model not currently on their web site? I've owned a couple Cirrus 5's and have played the BXP and there is absolutely no comparison at all.

I mean, the BXP is a nice value, but it ain't no dang Cirrus by any stretch of the imagination.

6. No, the new Cirrus BXP. http://www.peavey.com/products/new/cirrus_bxp.cfm

I would LOVE a sixer. Has anyone tried the Grind NTB 6?

7. That link shows what I'm talking about.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ahhh, ok. Thanks. I went direct to the product page.

Yeah, I've tried one. Ehhh, they're ok for the money, but I personally don't like their tone much.

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Looks like about the only thing missing is the graphite - neck reinforcement and the headstock overlay, which may affect the neck stability, sustain, and tone.

While not technically "missing" the bridge is different and the neck woods and lamination patterns are not the same. It's hard to tell from the pics and the specs don't list it but it looks like the BXP is more maple and less walnut and a 5 piece neck instead of a 7 piece. These aren't anything that I would think by design would make it less of an insturment than the original Cirrus. A LOT of great basses don't have 7 piece necks and use the 'finger' style bridge instead of a one piece bridge. And wood variety is an endlessly debated topic. It looks like a great instrument on paper and if they can maintain the same build quality while doing it for cheaper in a foreign country it should be just fine. They would just be taking a page from the Fender book while leaving out the part where you used cheaper pups/pre and Hardware.

I REALLY Love my Bubinga Cirrus but had to buy it used (around $700 and I looked for over a year) If these held the playability, tone, build quality and looks for cheaper I say bring it on, as long as the original is still around too.

As for the Grind BXP (edit - Should say Grind NTB) I've tried several of the 4s and 5s. I really liked the 4 string but not the 5 and probably wouldn't like the 6 either. I like 35 inch scale (even on my 4) of the Cirrus but the Grind is 34 and I know the debates that rage over a 34 inch low B, but the Grind isn't up to that challenge in the build quality. The passive electronics left me wanting something else. But for an inexpensive neck-thru it was worth the money (cheap)

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Exactly. Also, they did have the Grind BXP (not NTB) before, and it WAS a 35" scale and it DID have active elex, but the string spacing was just too narrow for me on a 5 (15-16mm, I think). Believe it or not, the B string was pretty nice, and while the preamp output was a little lower for active, the tone was really good! Couple pseudo-J pickups.

Personally, I think the NTB just doesn't hit "the mark"... even in it's price range (IMHO!).

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    DOH!!!!!
    Must have left my brain on the floor. Haven't seen or tried the Grind BXP, it was the NTB... And the NTB 4s and 5s were 34 inch while the 6s were 35 inch, I can't say that I've ever seen a Grind BXP that wasn't the NTB series, neck thru with 2 passive humbuckers.

Also around here the NTB 4's were selling for like $250, I think the 5 was $325 or so. At that price range anything with a truss rod :D hits the mark IMO.

12. Anyone know when the Cirrus BXPs will be hitting the stores? I've been checking my local dealer and the usual net outlets and haven't seen them yet.I'd almost sell my American Millenium 5 if the Cirrus BXP was as good as the US made ones.

13. if only you'd done a search, you could've read my gig review. my only disclaimer is that i have the manufacturer's sample, so i don't know that it's the same as every cirrus BXP. also, the hardware is hipshot USA instead of licensed by hipshot.

since i'm almost a month late on this thread (how did i miss a question about my beloved instrument?), i wouldn't be surprised to find out these are hitting stores. i still love mine. if only my guitarist hadn't moved to dallas, i'd have another gig report to give you. i need to play mine more. it's so nice.

robb.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You've tried a Cirrus BXP?

AFAIK, they have not hit stores yet. Where did you play one?

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No, asynchronous post problem here.

This was my reply to a guy about the Grind NTB (which I hated), because it was different from my Grind BXP (which I loved except for the narrow string spacing, and has gone to a better home as a result), which is different from the Cirrus BXP, which I haven't yet played, but will ASAP. A buddy of mine is a Peavey dealer. :)

P.S. I had a USA Cirrus 5 and traded it off. I'm still lamenting that. :( If it weren't for my happiness with my current collection, I'd be in a world of hurt lookin' for another. :crying:

16. I have been playing the Grind BXP 5 stinger with active electronics since October of 2002. While it's not a high-end bass, it's really not bad for the money. It has reasonably good EQ range for a 9 volt system. It does have the 35" scale and the B string has killer depth, IMHO. Yes, the neck is a little bit narrow, but I really don't have a real problem with it. I may very well invest in the Cirrus BXP 5 string when it becomes available.

Peavey T-40 4
    Peavey Grind BXP 5
    Hartke Kickback 1500

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1 big time.

I just sold my tangerine one, but only because I couldn't get used to the narrow spacing. However, due to the 35" scale, the B was really nice!!! Also, IMHO the tone was GREAT, just the output was a little low... even for a 9V system, but no biggie, just bump the pre a bit. Personally, I think Peavey screwed up in discontinuing these for the NTB, 'cause they have dead sounding passive pre's and a 34" scale. Yah, neck thru, but so what if they play and sound worse (again, IMHO).

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    just one small question: why the official peavey style do not list the cirrus bxp?

19. The Official Peavey website doesn't list any Cirrus models besides the new bolt-ons, no idea why.

I've got a BXP 4, Indonesian Handbuild, completely different finish to any I've seen on the internet or other shops.

[​IMG]

It's beautiful. Sounds amazing, plays brilliantly, great sustain and overall an amazing deal. I couldn't believe my luck.