1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GaryLC, Dec 1, 2010.

1. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Hey folks,
    I've never, ever played a Peavey bass....but have my eye on a Cirrus just by the way it looks. :p What are some general opinions on these basses, bang for the buck, remembering that I'm a pretty tried & true G&L guy (L2000's & SB2's). I know, I can search, but I thought I'd try for some fresh input.
    Thanks!!

2. They have a bit of a "modern" tone, but it's probably one of the best bass for low action, low B, and ergonomics without having to go custom.

3. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I'm looking at a 4 stringer, can they get an aggressive sound? How about compared to an L2000?

4. You will find nothing but good thing here on TB about those bases. I have a Claro Walnut top one and it has been my main gigging bass for the past 4 years. Lots of tone, consistant notes up the neck, and a effortless playing neck. It won't be as agressive sounding as an L2000, but it can cover a wider range of tone than a G&L will.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The Peavey Cirrus is a first rate instrument, and they are worth every penny you pay for one. They definitely have a modern hi-fi tone. There are several guys around here that play them, and they all sound fantastic.

Alas, I don't find that they sound all that great when I play them. :atoz: I am not an active electronics kind of guy I guess.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A Cirrus is going to sound much more refined and hi-fi than an L2000. I tried one once at Bass Day in NYC. And while I expected to hear a lot of clarity, I didn't expect that much. It was like playing a five-string piano with frets. :eek:

MM

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If you're a self-described "*insert brand here* guy", you're going to be hard to please. You're better off playing one and making your own decision.

I will chime in with others and say that a used US-made Cirrus is the best value on the market today. For $600 you can buy a bass that meets or exceeds the quality of basses that will run you 5 times that much money.

8. Joospocks

Joospocks

Jul 1, 2010
    The cirrus club has lots of discussion. Of course it's not a great source of cirrus criticism if you are looking for "cons". :) I have a five string cirrus and it's great. Even just leaving the preamp flat and playing with pickup blend and different right hand technique, it's very versatile. Some people don't like the long 35" scale, though.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have a Cirrus 4 and a 5. They are beyond awesome and an ultra-bargain at the $800 price point for a used one. They both are the easiest to play and most comfortable basses I have touched. Strangely, they do not sound the same!

The 5 has Elixirs and the ultra-clean modern tone. Gives me goose bumps whenever I play it.

The 4 currently has Sunbeams, and none of the "piano" type tones of the 5, but with a little EQ works well for other sounds.

Both are very quiet (active preamps) and built very well. I think that reason that you see so few cons about them is that there hardly are any.

The 35" scale takes only a little getting used to and made up for by the ease of play. Peavey customer support has also been fantastic.

10. Bearwolf

Bearwolf

Dec 21, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Peavey Cirrus are awesome basses...I hope to add one to my lineup soon! I'm a 4 string guy but have played the 5 string cirrus a few times and even with the longer scale it didnt seem that big a difference, mainly due to the thin flat neck. The vfl pickups are great sounding through the various markbass and gk rigs I've tried them on. I keep perusing for a great deal on a us model cirrus...one of these days..and a little more convincing the wife..

If you can stand a blue colored bass, I've been seeing good deals on brand new cirrus us basses. Just not my cup of tea on color..at least not at this point...if the price gets any lower that may change! :D

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The only complaint I could only find for the Cirrus line is that the 6 string have extremely tight string spacing.

Seriously, that's the only con for MY preferences, which are 18mm and up.

The 4s and 5s have wider spacing and I can play those.

Some of the best basses available, regardless of price point.

12. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I think the US Cirrus is probably the best bass out there without going custom. I do not own one, but I have played several, and they were all great. Yes, they are pretty modern/hi fi type of sound. They have as quiet of electronics as I have heard on a bass. Someday, the right one (bubinga or walnut) will be mine.

13. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Aggressive no, they are very modern and clean tonally.

14. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I don't have a Peavey bass but I'm looking at a Grind. There are many people on here who love them some Peavey. I think their basses look great.

15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    There is much love for the Cirrus here on TB and numerous posts. Here are some clips that played a big part in my decision to get a Cirrus.

An awesome bass without question!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

16. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I'm up to 3 Cirri (plural for Cirrus?) now, and am looking to add a fourth (all 6 string). Never played a G&L, and quite honestly don't think I need to now that I've found Cirrus. They do anything and everything I want them to. And yes, they can sound very aggressive IMO.

17. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    There's US Cirrus models, and the Cirrus BXP (imported) models. And, you'll find lots of love for both on TB.

18. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    People don't seem to be so gung-ho for the imported Cirrus. I think you find more love for the US Cirrus. :meh:

19. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I've owned a couple, and actually preferred the old USA bolt-on model(2006 model...before all these BXP models came out) was a fantastic bass. I prefered it because it was 34" inch scale. It also had the Millenium preamp with the variable mid sweep (concentric)knob. The other one was a 2005 Peacock blue model...35 inch scale...I miss that bass...best looking bass I've ever owned. Sold it like an a$$.

They tend to be a bit more hi-fi and bright, but you can easily compensate via your amp. Even with the 35" scale...the neck is so slim, that it isn't even an issue.

20. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Cirrus would be the correct singular and plural usage.;)