1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Combo 300 TOO QUIET?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Remy Yeldrem, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Remy Yeldrem

Remy Yeldrem

Jul 10, 2018
    So I bought a Peavey Combo 300 and when I tried it out I was happy with it, albeit it was quite but the guy dropped it off early hours and I didn't want to disturb the household. Just turned the pre/post gain up and it's making no change in volume... Am I missing something or do I get in touch with the guy and tell him it's poopie and I want a refund.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What else have you tried? Are you going into the low gain or high gain input? What are the rest of the knobs set at? Have you tried your bass with another known working amp to make sure it's working properly? Are you using a good signal cable (and not a speaker cable)?

Troubleshooting requires quickly making a list of what the problem ISN'T before diving into what it could be.

AudioTaper, Clutchcargo and Joedog like this.
  3. Remy Yeldrem

Remy Yeldrem

Jul 10, 2018
    I've been playing the bass all week in a variety of amps, and it's sounded fine. Just plugged into my Blackstar and it's sweet. I've plugged into both low and high input and set all the knobs at a variety of settings but no joy :/

Think it could be an electrical issue?

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So turning any knob results in no change in volume or tone?

5. Remy Yeldrem

Remy Yeldrem

Jul 10, 2018
    Tone, yes! The EQ controls work perfectly, but the volume doesn't change at all.

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Interesting. Have you tried both push and pull positions on the pre and post gain knobs? And do they turn like they should?

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Weird. My TNT130 always sounds pretty loud!

Remy Yeldrem likes this.
  8. Remy Yeldrem

Remy Yeldrem

Jul 10, 2018
    Push and pull? And they turn smoothly, doesn't feel like they're too loose or anything like that.

9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Both knobs on my 130 can pop in and out. For punch and bright. Hard to imagine a problem with these sturdy eighties peavey pots

10. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Friend in high school had a Peavey Combo 300. It was a sonic monster.

11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pull the knobs out. They should "click" in and out. If I recall, one is a bright switch and the other is a bass boost?

There may be some crud in the pots. Pull/push them in and out and turn them 0-10 a few times.

Aqualung60 and wave rider like this.
  12. Remy Yeldrem

Remy Yeldrem

Jul 10, 2018
    Well this has amazing EQ and no volume.

13. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    I bought one many years ago when my wife and I did a hotel circuit.
    Liked it so much I bought her a KB300. Fast forward to club and non-
    lounge venues. Not nearly enough (160w) power. Least for me.
    Regardless of the EQ boosts. Gallien Krueger 400RBIII and 700RBII these days.

14. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Try the old short instrument cable in the effects send/return (preamp out/ power amp in). Sometimes this works magic on old amps.

I have a 400RB and a 700RBii. Will keep my Peavey TNT 130 combo though. Great amp. I’m sure the 300 is more of the same

DLEE, bassmike2010 and wave rider like this.
  15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Does it work in the other direction? Can you turn it down? Looking to see if the pots work at all.

Try an experiment- put pre gain at zero and post gain all the way up. Slowly dial up pre gain and see where it maxes out.

Without hearing for ourselves or seeing exact settings in real time it's a little hard to troubleshoot but it is possible you have it maxed out. This might help determine what the problem is.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I had one. They are very loud. If yours isn't you need to have it repaired.

Standalone likes this.
  17. Jackass76

Jackass76

Dec 18, 2013
    NYC/LHV, NY
    I had one, loved it, sold it because I went to a multi cab GK rig...its one that got away...

Ping Peavey about it...they have pretty good customer service...they may be able to help you out. Mine had a cap fail and they helped me ID which it was and what to replace it with. Solid amp...its probably something simple.

18. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Working properly, that amp will be a danger to any children or small animals within 100 yards.

DLEE, cheechi and AudioTaper like this.
  19. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Combo 300! My first amp purchase... oh the memories. That was one heavy SOB...

20. You mention another amp. Does that other have an effects loop? Try the pre out from your other into the power amp in on the Peavey; does the Peavey respond to any volume or gain knob from either amp? (since you haven't specified if the other is master vol or not) Also Try the same thing in the other direction, the pre out from the Peavey to the power section of the other.

My assumption, since the EQ works and you get some volume, it's likely something is dirty or corroded in the power section. I wouldn't first assume its a knob but it is possible. Of my 2 Combo 300's, one needs a jumper in the effects loop to hear anything at all (as opposed to your issue), so while I hope it is a simple fix I think that would not be the primary fix here. A can of deoxit never hurts with these old guys and I hope you share in my experience that it's one of the few tools actually needed with these unstoppable amps.

Good luck and do yourself a huge favour don't leave the pre or post too high, (maybe 2 or 3) in any of your testing, once you find the issue you could make yourself deaf.

AudioTaper likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021