Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Grind Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rb26nate, Mar 11, 2005.

1. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    Has anybody had any experience with the Grind bass? I want it in 5 or 6 string. I'll hopefully try one out this weeekend, but i still want some opinions on it

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Which model exactly?

3. I've got a Grind 5 NTB and love it! I'm a die hard 4 stroker but this 5 begged to be mine so... :rolleyes:

Like all other imported basses, you will find that quality can vary. These are made in Viet Nam and are quite good but there are some occasional bad examples that you could come across.

I had the opportunity to see and play about half a dozen of these and myself and the bass guy at the store figured out that, of the examples we had in the store and my own as a 7th, the lighter colored units were heavier than the darker ones. We lined them up by shade and sure enough - each was heavier as it got lighter in color. :confused: My own bass is rather dark and isn't heavy at all but the lightest of the others was quite heavy. YMMV

4. I tried a 6er down at the music store and it was sweet. Real low action and good sound. When I get a 6 I'm definately gonna spring for one of these, maybe put in some EMG's...

5. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    I have the 5 string version of the NTB, and I think it's an incredibly great bass, especially for the price. Mine is light in color, and my friend has a darker 6 string version. I think the one with lighter color sounds a lot more open and clear. The darker one sounds more bassy and darker, with a lot of focus. Try them out, you'll like it.
    Also, the action is great, mine slaps very well.

6. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Nice bass. Especially after a thorough setup. Mine is a pretty dark, middleweight one. I especially like the mids. Basses are deep and muddy. Not undefined but... you know. And it has great sustain. Overall I think it's money well spent.

7. I didn't mention tone

Mine has a nice growl to it that remains part of the voice no matter where you like the major portion of your tone to be. Defined is a good word to use for the warm but precise sound.

You'll like the neck profile...everyone does!

8. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    Thanks alot guys you really helped out alot. I'll probably look at the darker ones just because they look awesome. Well hopefully i'll try them out tomorow. :bassist:

9. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I have the Grind 4 NTB and think it's a good bass ESPECIALLY for the money. I'm loking to get a 5 string bass and my current choices are between the Grind 5 NTB and the Toby Pro 5, now leaning more toward the Grind 5 because I've never dealt with the people at musicyo.com and there is no phone number and nobody to talk to if there is a problem. Musicyo.com sells the Toby Pro 5 by the way.

-Xtro