Peavey Patriot Bass Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gregmari, Jun 29, 2017.

1. gregmari

gregmari

Nov 27, 2013
    Oregon
    There is a nice looking peavey patriot bass (1987 I think) in local pawn shop that I am considering making an offer on but it has an issue I'm not sure how to fix. Someone put a large chunk of metal under the bridge saddles and then raised the saddles all the way up. The action on the bass is still very low and in fact the G string frets out on the high frets. The neck appears to be very straight with very little relief. I thought maybe someone cranked down on the micro-tilt screw, but I don't see a gap between the neck and pocket. Any suggestions or should I just avoid it? I snapped a photo:

IMG_0433.JPG

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    You have several options:

1. Check the micro-tilt. Back off the micro tilt screw entirely, tighten the other neck bolts fully, then re-tighten the micro-tilt. That will ensure the neck is sitting as flat as possible in the pocket.
    2. If Step 1 doesn't fix it, consider adding a reverse shim - i.e. a shim in the outer side of the pocket.
    3. Get longer saddle set-screws. May be a bit hard to find though
    4. Leave it as it is. Probably not the best solution - it looks crummy and it takes away from the optimum saddle to bridge-plate coupling (though that may not be e big deal)

Dec1975 likes this.
  3. gregmari

gregmari

Nov 27, 2013
    Oregon
    Thanks Turnaround. I was thinking along those lines too. If I can pick it up for very little cash, I may give it a shot.

4. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I would. It may have been done to get the PU to a height to be a good thumb rest. That's my main use for the neck tilt. Secondary is to not have the saddle height screws above the saddle without trimming.

Warhawk likes this.
  5. I had one that I hot-rodded back in the later 80s....Mine had the natural mahogany body and maple board....Those Super Ferrite Pickups are Great...I dug it and wish I still had it....May try to find another one myself !!!!

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That pickup does look like it's mounted awfully far out from the body.

7. anrque

anrque

Dec 11, 2008
    I ended up picking this up. Thanks to the OP for cluing me in to which Oregon area pawn shop it was still in after months and months. I have yet to investigate exactly why the extra piece of aluminum is under the saddles; maybe this weekend.
    Anyways, the bass is set to be a body/electronics donor for the Peavey Electrical Guitar Company aluminum neck that I purchased.
    peavey_&_EGCneck.jpg

Dec1975 and gregmari like this.
  8. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    That's odd for sure.
    I have an older version of this bass ..... and my saddles are barely off the bridge.
    BTW, Anrque .... if you are interested in getting rid of the Patriot neck, LMK. I love Peavey Necks.

IMHO, I would have bought it. As long as the action was playable, play the crap out of it.

Matt