1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-20 VS Peavey Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CarmenWilliams, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    So I found a Peavey Fury for only $150. But it's about a 5 hour drive.
    I found a Peavey T20 for $200 with free shipping. If I were to make the 5 hour drive, it would probably equal out to $200. But which would be the better buy? I want whatever is lighter and whatever has a thinner neck. I'm including pictures.

Attached Files:

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Buy both?

[edit] That was weak. Buy both.

head and B-Mac like this.
  3. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    Lmao. I'm in the middle of moving so funds are low. I must add though about the T20... somebody apparently tried to make it into a 5 string? So they drilled a hole up top.

4. Both have quite wide necks. 1 4/5" at the nut or 44mm if you want metric size.Fairly slim in profile though so there is a trade off. My Fury should be lighter,it's meant to be a poplar body,but somehow my T20 is the lighter one.

Apart from the body shape and wood they are really the same bass,just a name change.

That 5th tuner hole on the 20 is no big deal,just plug it with a dowel. Somebody had did the same to one of my T40s. I left it as is and completed the conversion to 5 string.

MattZilla likes this.
  5. crunchysock

crunchysock Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Are you near Atlanta? I offered her $200 plus shipping on the black one and she never got back to me. If I lived close it would already be gone.

6. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said

7. Apart from the crazy long drive....a choice between the clean looking black Fury w/bomb case, and the hacked T-20, this should be a no brainer. Add points if the bomb case has a felt lining.

The Fury may not be lighter than the T-20 just because the body is poplar, though. My T-20 was 10 lbs, the Fury that came later was well over 10 lbs, which kinda surprised me. Maybe you'll get lucky with the weight of yours.

$0.02...

Personally, I don't think that messed up T-20 is worth $200, despite the free shipping, and even if the hole in the headstock is the only "known" issue. If it has to go back to the seller on your dime it won't be cheap. You can do better, much better IMO. Good luck.

UNICORN BASS and MattZilla like this.
  8. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    My T-20 is slightly heavier than the fury. Necks are both thin. Fury neck seems narrower at nut. Both great bassses! Fury has ability to accept almost any split P PUPs

9. Your Fury will be 2nd or 3rd gen. Poplar body and same neck as the Foundation,Peavey's answer to the jazz bass. On 2nd/3rd gen Fury's nut is 38mm opposed to 44mm on the T20.

2nd gen on left,1st in the middle, 3rd gen on right

Attached Files:

H2okie likes this.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Meant to ask you, in terms of the truss rod adjustment of the Fury basses, mine looks like it uses the Gibson truss rod tool rather than the typical allen hex key. Is there are a particular third party one that works best for it? The ebay el cheapo Gibson tool doesn't seem to fit inside the truss rod hole.

11. Hi Max. Just in the door from work but I've always time for good folk :thumbsup:

Doesn't matter which old Peavey folks have accessing the TR can be trouble. If your Gibson key won't fit pare out some wood from the cavity. If the TR nut is too deep extra work is required. Drop a socket down on to the TR nut and fit an extension bar. String tree needs to come off and,depending on the bar, likely the G tuner.

Get the nut off,lube the threads and drop a few washers in,bring the nut closer to the surface so you never have to go to these extremes again.

Peavey basses were not designed to use a Gibson key,the correct key was a bent piece of pipe. This is pretty close to the Peavey tool. Minus the bend of course :)

41GJK1C5PRL._SX450_.jpg

Maxdusty likes this.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Thanks for this very useful info! I don't have to adjust the truss rod much but don't have the right tool for the job.

Sorry to detour a bit on the post but hopefully this will be useful info to the op as well should either bass require a truss rod tweak, not sure what truss rod tool is needed on the T20 and on that particular Fury (didn't it change later to the more traditional truss rod that can be adjusted with an Allen key?)

kodiakblair likes this.
  13. Around the mid 90's they changed over to the Allen key. Prior to that it was the 5/16th nut on all the TRs.

Maxdusty likes this.
  14. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think mine is gen 2. It has the paint line around head stock. I know it’s great to play. I put bill lawrence pups in it. It is one of my favorite 4s to play. I do often pick up a foundation. Both are great. The T-20 is fantastic also ... but mine is sort of Minty and that flat tobacco burst paint ... has become a wall hanger.

Attached Files:

15. jghacker

jghacker

Aug 4, 2019
    Interested in parting with that T-40 on the wall?

16. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Not at all. That’s my 1st bass purchase back in ‘82. And my only bass for 20 plus years. I highly recommend the T- series. That one’s not available. I used to find them frequently. So they are still plentiful. But folks are now pretty proud of them ... so they got pricey.

jghacker and kodiakblair like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021