1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey T-40 pickups...Toaster? Blade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Godfather, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    Hello folks
    I recently obtained a T-40 that I am really enjoying...can someone fill me in on the 2 types of pickups, how to identify them, when each was used, and whether to expect any sonic differences between the 2?
    Cheers and Thanks
    godfather

2. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    They both pretty much look the same except the later one's have a metal blade poking up through middle of the black areas on the pickups (2 per). The change was made around '81. I have a '79 w/ out the exposed blades and had an '82 with them. I owned them both at the same time but have since sold the '82. Some say the earlier one's are better, but to be honest I could never tell much difference.

They're pretty nice basses if you can handle the weight.

Steve

3. whats the serial number Godfather? You can find out the year, and this would be easier to ID it.

you can check out the wikepdia site thing for the T-40. it has all the ID's and dates.

Mines a 1979 and its got the Toaster pups.....i also still find a new tone everyday :hyper:

4. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    Thanks, folks....Mine has the exposed blades, turns out to be a 1984.....

FYI for all T-40 users who might live in The Dark Ages (like me!)

http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/index.htm

cheers to all

godfather

5. RamonCorral

RamonCorral

Aug 26, 2014
    Mine is 82' and has toasters

6. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Sorry for thread resurrection but recently sold my 1982 with blade pickups. A lot of the ones I have seen lately for sale are the toaster pickups. Will I hear much difference between the two? I think I read somewhere that the blade pickups are a little brighter?

Thanks for your time.

7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have also heard the blades are brighter, but have not done a side by side comparison. Blades are wound a touch hotter, like 5K per coil/10K in series vs 3K per coil/6K series for the toasters. I think the toasters have two magnets-one per coil, where the blades have one magnet for both coils located in a more sensitive spot.
    I have a blade in my Ibanez RB630 that was converted to a virtual T45. It sounds really good and it's volume matches well with my regular split coil P basses.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    filler83 likes this.
  8. @filler83

When old Chip Todd was asked about the difference he thought there wasn't anything to write home about.
    I've 3 with toasters and 1 with blades. I agree with Chip

BTW
    The reason for the change was to make the T40 appear cooler and more modern :roflmao:

mech likes this.
  9. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks - so you’re basically saying there is minimal difference between the two?

10. Yeah,that's my feeling on the matter.

11. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    It would seem that the stronger magnetic field and less winds on the coils would be roughly equal a slightly weaker magnetic field with more winds on the coils.