Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by truckin88, Oct 20, 2005.

1. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    Anyone ever have one, or have one, I have a major GAS for one with a maple fretboard, I think they are just cool. and play good, they do however weight a ton, just wondering peoples thoughts.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try a search. Lots of discussion of these basses over the years.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Well....
    The t-40 has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum (do a search), but I love mine so much that I will indulge your curiosity. I have a 79 natural ash w/ maple neck T-40, It is in near new condition. It still had the pickguard film/control labels on it when I purchased it 3 years ago. It took over for my modded MIM pbass, as favored 4 string, and is now narrowly competing with my homebuilt Fender Jazz (all Fender USA parts except body and pickguard) for favorite 4 string. The Jazz is lighter and nails the Jazz tone better, but the T-40 is more ballsy and more versatile.

It looks beautiful and sounds awesome. The bilaminate neck is extremely stable, and the two oposing grain halfs (that's why it is so stable) don't look uneven at all. The hardware is very solid , with a metal nut, good tuners and a massive bridge. The body is satin finished multi piece ash that is very well matched on the front, not quite as well matched on the back.

It has the ability to produce quite a few very good sounds. From a thicker pbass sound, to a bright jazz sound. The controls are a bit quirky, (do a search for full explaination) but make for a very versatile instrument. Also, it can do the closest aproximation of the rickenbacker sound of any non-ric instrument I have played, which is probably due to the wierd old pickups and their placement.

Yes it is heavy, in fact it is very heavy. If weight is a consideration, don't buy one. Usually selling between 200-350 dollars The T-40 is definatly one of the great under appreciated bargains in well constructed, quasi-vintage, American Made basses.

Now if only I could justify geting a sunburst w/rosewood T40.....

5. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    +1 to the quirky controls. Once you figure them out, you can get some great "thick and chunky" bass sounds though.

Mine was at least as heavy as my Warwick Streamer 6 is. If you get it think about getting a wide strap. Having said that mine suffered from no neck dive thanks to the body weight. It's a great rock bass that's a natural for pick playing.

6. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Before you buy...

Go get a cinderblock. Hang it from your shoulder and stand up for two or three hours.

Then decide.

I had two T40s back in the day (1981). My shoulder still hurts.

7. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My first bass. I had a black one. I'd love to play one again. I remember the tone being dull, muddy, and boaring. At the time I really loved the bright punchy tone of my friend's jazz copy (Washburn "Lyons" or something like that?). I was just a kid then, and I was not a good player. It may have been a great bass, but I wouldn't have known. If I were to get another one I would either put flats on it and thump away, of use as a boat anchor!

8. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've got my eye on one on the 'bay right now. The seller has offered to let me try it out today, so I'll let y'all know what I think of it.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

LOL. My first bass in 1981 I took it apart and tried to paint it white. It weighed so much it was ridiculous. It was a great day when I sold it.

Rob

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I really like em. Like everybody says, they're heavy, but I think it's worth it. I almost nabbed one for $200, but it slipped through my fingers.

11. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I had a 1981 T-40 that was white with black pick guard. It looked like what Ross Valory was using in Journey at the time. It played well and sounded good to me. I really wish I still had it.

BUT... the thing was VERY HEAVY!!!

12. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I absolutely LOVED my T-40, although the weight did prompt it's demise for me. Mine also had some neck issues, so that didn't help. I really did dig the sound, but when I started playing my '75 reissue, my band told me that they hated the sound of "that big ugly thing" that I had been playing. I really did dig it, great feel!

:bassist:

13. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I had one in 1979. Had it for 3 months then traded it in for a 1978 Musicman that I still have. The T-40 was a nice bass, but as I recall it didn't have too much of a slap tone.

14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

11 pounds of autumn-burst, thick funk here.

The HSC is tough as nails, too.

+1 more on the innovative, but somewhat perplexing controls.

15. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I played one today, and was very impressed. The hardware is all top notch. Good tuners, monster bridge, microtilt neck joint, good fretwork, nickel nut. I wasn't able to figure out the tone controls, but I did manage to get a decent Larry Graham impression, and a decent p-bass. I couldn't get the Ric tone that others have mentioned, but that may have been due to the 6-year old strings. It was hefty, for sure, but honestly, I think there is some bandwagon jumping going on in this department. It didn't seem any heavier than my BTB405. Very sturdy, though... seemed like you could run over it with a truck.

Anyway, I thought is was a solid axe, which is almost too bad... I was hoping to cross another bass off my gas list.

16. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    My first "real" bass!! I was 10 or 12 at the time. It weighed a ton!! Great bass for the money. You can get some great sounds out of it if you work with it. The switches always broke on mine. Learned alot about guitar repair with this one.

The original ash body instruments were VERY heavy and thicker than later models. I think a year or so into production a change came to make the instruments lighter. I still think about get one again... Don't know how often I would use it...

17. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    They sound best with flats ;)

18. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I just boought an 1979 Ash T-40 last week on Ebay. I've been A-B'ing it with a couple of my Carvin B4's and it sounds great. MANY sound variations. I went to the Peavey site and downloaded the manual, which explains the pickups and switches.

I have a Gig next week outdoors ( A block party) and will play my B4 and T-40 through My Carvin BRX212 combo. I'll let you know how it sounds then.

Regards,

Mike

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My memories of my T-40, which I owned from the time I bought it new in 1983 until 2004, when I literally gave it to charity:

Heavy
    Bulky
    Dull
    Warped neck
    Broken electronics
    clumsy
    stiff
    not-so-bitchen

I'm 100% glad I don't own it anymore, even though I only got a tax write-off for it. It did nothing for me.