1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey TNT 160 vs 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Devo-lution, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Right now I'm using a 2x15 with a 100 watt tube amp. I'm getting really tired of hauling it around. Both bands I'm in rehearse in basements that can only be accessed through narrow stairways (the cab has to be tilted in order to fit through). Expectedly, the other band members are becoming less and less willing to help me move the thing.

I was scanning the local second hand websites for an amp that I'd be able to carry myself. I've heard a lot of good things about Peavey TNT 160's and thought that one of these might fit the bill. They can be found cheaply.

Is there a chance that the peavey 115 will make it in a semi-loud band? Usually, I have to turn the volume up to 60% on my current set-up. The guitarists only turn up to 20% on their amps though (Bassman, Vox AC30, ...).

I know the peaveys have a reputation of being louder than you might expect, but I'm not sure whether they'd have a chance to make it here. Maybe I just have to save some money and buy a micro rig of doom.

Thanks a lot!

2. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    what about buying another cab to leave at the second practice location? that way all you would need to carry is the amp head.

3. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

It's not only practice locations. It's also gigs for both bands that has me moving the cab in and out of those basements. And a 100 watt amp needs a big cab to make it through the mix in louder bands (which limits me to buying another big cab).

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You will be taking a serious step back as far as providing a good, solid fundamental. I'd explain this to your bandmates in no uncertain terms if they're reluctant to help you.

5. obimark

obimark Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2011
    So many options- you could do a 212 cab, one of these fearful 15/6. Or a 410, or (2) 210's But you will need to spend some money, unfortunately.
    215s are beasts to haul, I used to have that same PEavey 215 cabinet, and can honestly tell you most newer cabinets will perform better, and sound better for way less size and weight.

6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Sounds like both your guitarists are using sane-wattage amps and IME a Peavey combo will keep up fine, though not as full as the 2x15.
    There are a lot of newer inexpensive combos out there with higher power as well, suggest you take a look at Acoustic's 200W+ offerings, which are definitely budget but surprisingly good-sounding and loud.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I used a TNT 130 (I believe it was a 130 anyhow) for over a decade and it cut through better than any other combo I ever owned, including a 700 watt GK combo with 2 neo 12s that they put out for a short while.

8. What's your rig now. I'm assuming the 2x15 is the trace Eliot mentioned in your profile but what's the head? I played a few shows with my friends TNT a few years back. Not a bad combo. They are loud but in my opinion not band loud. My band would never go for it. They would rather carry 2 of my 810s than loose out on tone. Tell your band mates to suck it up and lend a hand.

9. Have you considered just picking up a couple matching 1x15 cabs? More portable... And you can still use the sme head.

10. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    My amp is custom made by a local tube amp serviceman. The design is largely based on the Bassman 110. To quote the maker: The circuit has been adapted here and there to make it more fit for use with an electric bass.

My 2x15 is a trace elliot from the early 90's.

FYI, we have 3 guitarists (one often switches to keys, though :p).

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Three guitarists? Forget my 'sane' comment. ;)

12. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Had a TNT160 for almost 20 years (recently sold it to a kid starting out). It is definitely loud and punchy for 150 watts and a single 15, but it's all mid bass IMO, no real lows to speak of. The tone wasn't bad but nothing special. I only gig'ed it a couple of times years ago and it's a butt pain to haul, like 75 lbs IIRC with one strap handle on the top. Really needs casters / dolly and/or heavy duty side handles. Fine for just leaving it in a rehearsal space or something, but for the effort involved, I'd rather haul something better to gig with. Lots of better options now as others have pointed out.

13. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Maybe I'd better sell the tube head (it was 1700$ and the shop where it came from is quite known in Belgium, so I guess I'd be able to get a decent price for it) and buy the peavey combo to leave in one rehearsal space and then buy an old trace elliot head (also plenty of those for sale over here) for the 2x15 and leave that one in the other rehearsal space. The peaveys go for about 250$ and the trace heads for about 350$ around here.

I've grown out of the "quest for tone" anyways.

14. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Now that IS a shame.

15. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

+1

Those older peavey combos (I think the new ones too actually),while reliable, are a bear to carry.. too heavy tall..the handle placement is just silly on the top, unless your 7 ft tall.

I think you wouldnt be much better off than you are now..

They're built like tanks...and weigh as much too.
    ;)

It's a shame your pals arent so willing to help as much.

I'd go lighter..

16. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Well, not really :p.

I'm just not that much into amps anymore (although I'm still a huge pedal and synth-geek). They serve their purpose, but as long as I can get a decent sound out of 'm, they're OK for me. If someone has an old, decent amp lying around that I can use, I won't bring my own.

Live and in my modest home studio I always use a DI.

17. TDFiend

TDFiend

Feb 20, 2012

Hey man I know this is an older post but the Peavey TNT 160 referenced earlier in the thread is spot on the best combo amp I've ever played, albeit a little heavy. BUT you'll know where that heavy goes when you play it. There's 2 versions of it too, i have the Black widow version, the other is the scorpion i think. Any way if you do decide to go with it, it can hang with 2 guitars easily, i play stoner/sludge metal with one guitar 4x12 cab and LOUD ASS drums and they're telling me to turn down and I'm not even at half!! it HAS to be in direct contact with the floor though for the room resonance thing...

The old USA made Peavey stuff is great for bass IMO, I think nowadays the new stuff is made overseas unfortunately. TNT 160's are relatively common and still cheap at this point. i just bought one used six months ago for 150. I had actually played through one for a while at our practice space, and liked it so much i bought one.

Also how about pa support? if you're really looking for light weight, TC electronics makes a 1x15 BG series i think, but you'd need PA support and they're a little expensive but LIGHT, like in the 30's if I'm not mistaken